Chapter 39

Chapter 39: Leo

Is it just me, or did this guy seem strange? He never showed me his face, he never told me his name, and her never answered any of my questions. What he did tell me was to not trust people, I have a big decision coming up, to keep my friends close and my enemies closer, and also that I may die soon. He said that if I didn’t take his advice about watching out for myself before my friends, I would die. Yeah. He then said that his mistress was coming and I had to leave. He warned me that we will meet again, and I blacked out.

When I woke up, I was in my courters on the Argo II. I rubbed my eyes and looked around. I could hear voices floating in from the upper deck, so I decided to go up and figure out what happened.

“Leo! Good, your back.” Grover exploded when I came up.

“We have a lot to talk about.” Alex and Grover explained their stories. Apparently Alex had met some strange woman who was imprisoned by Aphrodite, and her brother was the one talking to me. Grover had iris-messaged our friends from camp and explained to them what happened. I didn’t know why he didn’t go looking for us first, but I felt like he was leaving some stuff out. Apparently Hazel was really upset about our assumptions that Nico was behind the creepy-undead army, who seemed to have disappeared after we got into the cave. It honestly would surprise me if Nico was actually on the dark side, but I didn’t say that.  

“So what does it mean to keep your friends close and you're enemies closer? What good does that do?” I ask, pushing the thought aside. I didn’t want to think about Nico and his undead friends, but Alex’s stone cold expression didn’t make me feel any better.

“The people who know you the best can hurt you the most.” She didn’t look either of us in the eye.  Was she trying to hide something? Suddenly I fell to my knees. There was a pounding echoing inside my head. I yelp in pain and Grover and Alex rush over, but their voices were fading out. I clutch my head, as if that could somehow subside the throbbing. After a few moments, I could only here the pulse of the steading beats in my head, like a drum. It was echoing inside my head, and it was all I could hear. The raspy, malevolent voice murmured his three words that have been haunting me since we’ve left for this journey.

“Olympus is calling.”