Chapter 78

Chapter 78: Piper

My mouth dropped open. Somebody was lying on the ground nearly fifteen feet away from me. I glance up and around, but nobody seemed to be anywhere in sight. Who was it?

“PIPER!” I turned to see Jason of all people running full speed up the hill.

“Jason? What are you doing here?”  I demand. It wasn’t that I was unhappy to see him, it’s just that I was shocked. “I thought Reyna said you guys couldn’t come! Reyna forbade it!”

“Ya, it’s kind of a long story. But I don’t know where Frank went! He just disappeared… wait, who’s that?” he glanced over at the girl on the ground. We took a step closer when I noticed somebody dashing out of the castle.

“Wait, no. Go back. Hide behind the ridge of the hill.” I demand.

“Wait what? Why?” I dragged him behind the hill and crouched behind it, watching Leo intently. He kneeled down next to who I assumed was Alex. Oh gods. No no no no no. Alex couldn’t be dead! Not. Possible. Leo put a hand on her heart, and he shut his eyes, withdrawing. I suddenly wondered if Alex knew. I wondered if she knew how much she owed him, and how much she was leaving behind. I wonder if she ever knew who she really was, because he did. He probably understood her more than she understood herself.

I have seen a lot of depressing things in my life, but I’m pretty sure this tops the list.  Leo bent his head down, holding her hand, probably crying. My own eyes were watering. Then, Leo looked up again, letting go of her hand. He lifted up her chin a bit, and he kissed her.

“That’s not even the proper way to give CPR!” Jason scoffed. I rolled my eyes, and stared at him, amazed at his stupidity. Then I realized that he was being completely serious. He seriously thought that Leo was trying to give her CPR. “Maybe I should help him…” he said, standing up. I grabbed his arm and pulled him back down.

“Sit down you Moran! That isn’t CPR!”

“Wha- Ohh.” He blushed. “I didn’t know he liked her like that.” He whispered.

“Ya, I don’t know if Alex did either.” We sat and watched. It never occurred to me that it might be rude, but I felt so bad for Leo. What happened? I looked around and noticed that Hazel was clinging to Frank, wiping her tears off on her sleeve as Frank put a comforting arm around her. Then suddenly, the wind blew throughout the island. Flowers poked through the light blanket of snow. Something seemed to ripple over the land. Leo scrambled away from Alex in alarmed, as she gasped and sat up.  “Oh my gods.”

“What? How?” Jason demanded. “Is she a zombie?” I slap his arm.

“Seriously?” I mutter. He smiled. Then Alex leaned over, and hugged a shocked Leo.