Chapter 83

Chapter 83: Alex

Leo asked me to go to the party with him, and I said yes. So you’re probably wondering why I am sitting by myself, in the woods, while everyone else was at the party.

I put my head in my hands. One of Piper’s sister’s leant me a dress, despite my complaints. I dyed a few streaks of my hair blue, and put on a pair of converse sneakers though, just to be defiant. When I went to the party, I guess I just had a case of social anxiety, and I left. I didn’t even talk to Leo or anybody, but I had to leave. I ran into the woods, and I have been hiding here ever since. Two hours. I have been hiding here for two hours.

I wanted to burst into tears. Everything was falling apart, yet the storm seemed to have passed. Was this just the way things were always going to be? Yes, of course I liked Leo, but this was all so uncomfortable to me! I never knew what I was supposed to do, and Leo was just so patient and understanding. (Not to mention annoying) Clarisse was voted to drop a bomb over the island that Circe used to live. Everybody else seemed fine.

Everything was just fine.

I was just always going to end up hurting Leo wasn’t I? “I’m sorry,” I muttered, staring at my hands. What is wrong with me? Why can’t I do anything like a normal person? I just wanted to curl up in a ball and pretend this never happened.

I got up suddenly, and began to walk through the woods to bunker nine. A million thoughts were running through my head as I walked into the bunker. Just as I thought, Leo was there, but he seemed to be taking his anger out on random kitchen appliances. “What do you want Alex?” He growled. I wondered how he knew it was me, but I just took a few steps closer and he threw down his tools and the destroyed blender.

“Is the entire kitchen broken?” I asked, pointing towards the pile with the destroyed electronic mixing bowl, toaster, microwave, and ice maker.

“It wasn’t when I started with it.” He turned to face me, and raised an eyebrow at my outfit, but I tried to ignore it. “Kind of a waste to dress up like that, don’t you think?” I felt heat rushing to my cheeks, and I look down at the floor. My eyes began to water, but I tried blinking the tears away before Leo noticed. Unfortunately, he saw me. He sighed. “C’mon Alex. What’s up? Why didn’t you come to the party?” I sat down and put my head in my hands again.

“I’m sorry Leo,” I muttered, but Leo sat down next to me. “But I just couldn’t do it.” Leo looked at his hands.

“What is wrong with us?” He asked. “Why can’t anything we do be halfway normal?” I snort, and lean my head against his shoulder.

“We’re demigods. Nothing we do will ever be normal.” We sat there for a moment, just thinking.

“We could always just pretend we’re normal.” He said, smiling. He got up and I looked at him quizzically. Walking over to a big CD player, Leo pressed play and it was my turn to smile. I recognized the song of course. It was Let It Be.

“Seriously? The Beatles?” I demand. He shrugs innocently.

“Oh c’mon, everybody likes The Beatles.” He held out his hand, and I took it. Sometimes I’ve wished that my life had a soundtrack, and this was perfect. As dance halls go, I couldn’t think of a better place than a secret work shop that smelled like oil and fire.

I leaned my head against his chest as we danced. I couldn’t remember the last time I danced, if I had ever danced before. This wasn’t much though. We were just holding each other while rocking back and forth to the music. The warmth of his chest was comforting, and his hands held me tight. I felt comfortable. I felt warm. I felt safe. I don’t know the last time I felt safe, but nothing could have ruined that moment for me.

I lifted my head from his chest, and looked into his big brown eyes. “Maybe it’s better that we aren’t normal.” I offer. We stop dancing, although the music continued.

“As long as we’re together, there’s nothing that can defeat us.” He promised. I couldn’t do anything but kiss him. It was a real kiss, and he kissed me back. At that moment, time stopped. The song continued to play, and we were still in Bunker 9, but there was no time or place that was any more romantic than here and now. We pulled away slowly, and our eyes locked. There were so many more unanswered questions, and so many unsolved problems, but looking into Leo’s eyes, I smiled.

Whisper words of wisdom, let it be. The song said.

Let it be.

Everything was going to be ok.