Chapter 18

Chapter 18: Alex

I was just so weak. I didn’t know up from down or left from right. My eyesight cleared. They had all rushed over to me, but some still kept a safe distance from me, scared of what I might do. This seemed perfectly reasonable to me. I was close to tears, which was saying a lot for me. I was terrified of myself. There was no way I could be able to control my anger. When I get mad, or try to use my magic, it’s like my body becomes possessed by some other force.

My magic is trying to kill me, and Leo keeps saving my life.

I look up at him and the others. Leo was standing a little farther back than everyone else, probably thinking I still wanted to kill him, because I have come pretty close to it twice. I wouldn’t want to talk to me either. But either way I look at him. He was definitely scared of me now, if he wasn’t already before.

“I told you,” he didn’t reply. “I warned you this would happen!” everybody looked at him, waiting for his answer, but he just stood there, and looked down at the ground. I sighed, and got up. I stepped toward him and he finally looked up at me. I took my gun from my belt and tossed it on the ground between us, and I just walked away.

Annabeth caught up with me a little later. “Alex! Alex, are you ok?”

“Ya” I state plainly, not looking up from what I was doing.

“I just came over to see if you were ok. But I was just wondering about why you were outside camp last night?”

“No reason.”

“You were running away, weren’t you?” it was more of a statement than a question.  “Leo was trying to stop you, wasn’t he?” I didn’t say anything and she sighed, a little exasperated.

“I’m sorry…” I say finally, “for everything.”

“Please stay, we can help you. We can teach you how to use your magic. Leo told us about the Fury. They obviously want to take you somewhere to do something. You would being doing more harm to us to leave than to stay.” I nod.

“It doesn’t really seem like I have a choice when you say it like that.” I say glumly. I knew I couldn’t try leaving again. Who knows what they wanted with me. But then again, my Magic might just end up killing me.