Chapter 45

Chapter 45: Alex

“You have no idea who you are.”

“Keep your friends close, and your enemies closer.”

“Friends are just another burden that you now carry.”

“Olympus is calling,”

“Pain is what makes you who you are.”

“Alison! Help! Please!”

“You have so much power and no way to control it.”

“Run.”

 “Hello Circe.”

“He’s dead.”

“Why does a caged bird sing so beautifully?”

“A thousand lives to be taken or hide”

“Just run away, like you have your entire life. No Alex, that’s not street smarts, that’s just cowardliness.”

“It will take much more than that to kill me, sweetie.”

“You’re just so lonely. So incredibly lonely, and you always will be, that’s your fate.”

“I hope you enjoy dying.”

“You are the girl who ran.”

“Good luck.”

“Join me, and we can rule the world together.”

“This is not a fairy tale.”

“You have a heart colder than stone.”

“I will wait for you.”

I woke up in a cold sweat. Voices. I hate hearing the voices. There is no picture, and the voices are all from my past, and sometimes from my future. It was enough to drive anyone crazy, but right now, I just went down to the mess hall.

“Alex, are you ok?” I glance up to see Leo standing next to the table. I nod.

“Ya.” I lied. “Are you?” He showed a weak smile.

“Ya, why wouldn’t I be? We are probably sailing straight to our deaths, everything is completely falling apart, and Circe is trying to turn us all against each other. Personally, I’ve never been better.” I shake my head, but I couldn’t help but smile.

“You know what I mean.” I mutter. I felt a bit better. We hadn’t really talked since I told him. He sat down across from me, and we started an awkward conversation. I could tell that he was still bothered by something, but I didn’t have any way to comfort him. Not having anything better to do, I got up, and Leo rose slowly, mumbling something about checking where we were.

At that moment, the entire boat shook. Everything fell off the shelf, and other things collapsed, including myself. Leo reached out and caught me, and we held on to each other for balance. Finally, the trembling stopped, and Leo and I were still holding each other. Our eyes lock, and I pushed him away gently. He shuffles his feet, extremely embarrassed.  After a moment of awkward silence, I shake his arm.

“Come on, let’s see what happened.”