Chapter 74

Chapter 74: Alex

“What are you doing?” Circe demanded. The moment that Percy turned Circe into a guinea pig, every feeling of loneliness, sadness, pain and regret I had been feeling in the last few days had simply vaporized. The only bad part about that, was now Circe was in my brain. She still had a little power over me, but I felt like my power over her was starting to slip away. In an hour or so, we would just be one. This was what the curse was all about. “No Tempest, you see, this is a good thing. But I don’t know what you are planning on doing with Leo. He is the enemy!” She had a point. All this time, people have been trying to push me to be someone I’m not because it was easier. This is who I am now. This is who I always was supposed to be.

The spirits were singing again. Spirits of childhood dreams, washed away and replaced with sadness, regret and bitterness; children who grow old and leave their dreams and ambitions behind. They are the spirits of pure cold, and they come to us in song. This particular one takes the tune of a nursery rhyme.  I turn to Leo. “We have to hurry.”

“What are you doing?” Circe screeched. I ignored her. I take Leo’s wrist, digging my nails into it. He cursed as I dragged him down the halls.

“What are you doing?” he demanded. I was sick of forgotten souls. Circe was a forgotten soul, and so was I. I stopped and turned to Leo. I stared straight into his eyes.

“The voices. Not everyone can hear them. I can, I always could. Ever since I was a little girl I would hear the voices at night; the sounds of lonely children. Nico can hear them too. It makes sense of course. He’s a child of the underworld. But you can hear it as well. I never thought about it until now. Why can you suddenly hear them?” He looked completely lost and groan in annoyance. “Ugh! You imbecile.” I turn and continue down the hall, and burst through the heavy wood doors into my throne room. Monsters, young women, and a few campers in chains filled the room, facing my throne, waiting for me. I strode down the center with my cloak billowing out dramatically. I sit at my throne in the front of the room, and stare out on my minions and captives. Leo stood at the far end of the room, still next to the door. “Bring him here!” I bark. Two, half man-half monsters things picked up Leo and brought him in front of me.

“Dudes! Watch the ribs. Ow!” one of the maidens presented a pillow with my crown on top. A crown. That was a nice touch.

I picked it up gingerly and placed it on my head. I turned to Leo. “Either bow before me or suffer eternal damnation.”

“Eternal damnation? Gee, that sounds like a lot of fun; wouldn’t want to miss out on that.”

“Hmph. Humor that isn’t funny. How charming.” I snapped my fingers and the man beasts returned, forcing Leo to his knees. I tap my fingers together, trying to figure out what to do with Leo.

“KILL HIM!” Circe demanded. At this point, that seemed like the best option.