chapter 20

Chapter 20: Alex

I was starting to feel lonely without Leo around, and that was a frightening thought. If I was going to start to feel sad or lonesome if I didn’t have some human company for a while, I didn’t know what was happening to me. Friends…

I still was around my siblings and Percy and Annabeth and Hazel, who just about the sweetest person I have ever met. But it wasn’t like she didn’t have much competition. It was something about Leo’s sense of humor that made me enjoy being with him. I loved laughing with him, because it had been months since I laughed; not since my father died. Leo had finally sat down next to me. I could tell that a few people were watching us from afar. Or maybe just watching me to make sure I didn’t kill him.

There was a moment when I could still see some of the hurt in his eyes, but it was gone as soon as it appeared. I definitely hurt him more than he was letting on. Why would he hide it if I hurt his feelings so badly? Why would he still be talking to me? Why wouldn’t he just say what he was actually thinking instead of cracking jokes to hide the pain?

“Leo, you don’t always have to try and hide your emotions.” I said slowly. He was quiet for a moment, not making eye contact.

“Why? You do.” I can’t believe he just pointed that out.

“That’s completely different.”

“Oh really? How so? Enlighten me.” Honestly, I was surprised he knew what enlighten meant.

“I, well… it just is!” How was I supposed to explain it? “I, well it’s just… I don’t, well, um”

“Exactly,” he didn’t look at me. I frowned. I didn’t see what was wrong with not crying. I never cry. Crying shows weakness, and I’m not weak.

“Sorry” I say quietly. I really haven’t gotten the hang of human emotions again. He looked like he was about to crack another joke, but changed his mind. He just turned to look at me, and to my surprise, he looked grateful.

He didn’t have to say more, I knew what he was thinking.