Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Alex

I gasp for breathe. I was awake again. I looked at my watch and realized it was 2:30pm. I guess my father’s berries really did work for twelve hours. Chiron, who was in a wheel chair for some reason came over to me. I looked around my surroundings. I guess Leo had brought me back to camp after all, because I was sitting on a reclined deck chair on the porch of the big house. Of course he did. Why couldn’t he have just left me out in the woods? I was already ‘dead’.

Half a dozen people from the Apollo cabin rushed over to see what happened, and a few gasped. “I thought so…” Chiron said softly, looking at me carefully. “You deserve more credit than you were given, that was very clever of you Alex.” He raised an eyebrow.

“What happened?” asked one of the Apollo campers.

“Correct me if I’m wrong Alex, but you ate a Mortialius berry, didn’t you.” I nod, still a little groggy.

“Mortia-what?”

“Mortialius berries practically make you dead for 12 hours. It was very lucky that the Fury that attacked you didn’t want you dead and fled.” he explained, narrowing his eyes at me. Annabeth came rushing over.

“Oh my gods! Alex you’re alive! You had us so worried! We had no idea what happened! I didn’t know those berries grow around here!”

“How did you all know I wasn’t dead?” The Apollo campers cleared a path for Nico DiAngelo to step up.

“I would have sensed it if you passed into the underworld. We were so confused because you weren’t dead and you weren’t alive…” But he was cut off when Leo pushed through the crowd.

“What the hell is your problem?”