Chapter 12

Chapter 12: Leo

I was in Bunker 9 tonight, and now I’m glad I was. I let time get away from me, and by the time I headed back to the Hephaestus cabin, it was nearly two in the morning. That wasn’t all that strange, but when I came back, I noticed somebody at the top of half-blood hill, looking down at the camp. It was too dark to tell who it was, and I thought that it might be another new camper, so I figured I should check it out.

By the time I was close enough to see their face, I realized who it was.

Alex.

I couldn’t believe it. Not only was it Alex, but she waited to see who I was; I don’t know why, but she did. The second that she realized it was me, she turned and ran away. I hated the idea of leaving camp unarmed, (that’s about as stupid as you could get) but I followed her.

I couldn’t help it; I was not just going to let her leave like that! It’s basically a suicide mission. I chased her down the hill and into the woods nearby. “Alex!” she looked over her shoulder and the tree to my left exploded. I cursed and shot fire in anger toward her. It hit a tree about two inches away from her, setting it ablaze. She leaped aside. She zigzagged trying to get me to lose her trail. I finally catch up and grab her wrist. “Alex! Just let me talk to you!” I beg her.

“Leo, let me go!” She struggled to get away from my grip, but I didn’t let her. “You don’t even understand, now let go of me!” she demanded.

“I am the king of running away. I’m not an idiot.”

“How much do you want to bet?” she said between clenched teeth. I glare at her. “Leo, why do you even care what I do?!”

“Because I’m your friend,” I reason.

“I don’t have any friends.” she snarled angrily, ripping her arm from my hand.