Chapter 25

Chapter 25: Alex

“The girl who stands alone must decide

A thousand lives to be taken or hide

The rebirth of power to rise to strength

Loyalty to be chosen shall go a great length

No lies shall be told so watch your tongue

But here together you will not work as one

Be warned of the goddess who is not as she seems

And the new point in time must rise to Hecate” I read aloud. I stare at Rachel. “What is that supposed to mean?” She shrugged.

“No idea, but there was more,” she pointed to the bottom. “I don’t know what it said before, but it got ripped off, like somebody didn’t want us to see it. I asked Chiron, but he said he has never seen the rest of it.” I nod, as we descend the stairs from the attic. I wanted to find Leo and ask him what he thought of it, but I couldn’t find him anywhere.

“Hey, Annabeth” I say as she walks past in the opposite direction. “Do you know where Leo is?”

“I think he might be in Bunker 9, why?”

“I’ll tell you later, thanks!” she shrugs and I start running toward where Leo had showed me Bunker 9. When I came in though, I didn’t see him anywhere, so I just looked over at the workbench. I noticed a photo of a little kid, and a person who I assumed was his mother. At that moment, Leo burst into the room, talking to himself, laughing at his own jokes. I jumped, startled.

“Alex, hey, what are you doing here?” he asked.

“Oh, I wanted to ask you about something. Annabeth said that you might be in here.” I take out the prophecy and explain to him the part about the dream, and my mother, and what he thought it could mean. After he finished reading it, he looked it over again.

“There was obviously another part to it, but somebody ripped it off. I don’t know who did, but they obviously didn’t want us to see it.” Leo looked at it more carefully.

“Nah, this wasn’t ripped; it was singed off, like someone set fire to it. They destroyed it. They obviously REALLY didn’t want you, or anybody else to read it.” I gaped at it, looking closer, but he was right. “Are you certain that this is about you? I mean, it doesn’t sound very, uh, happy”

“No, Chiron was pretty clear that he knew things that he didn’t tell me.” He read it over and over again.

“Is there any famous children of Hecate that have been growing weak?” I shrug.

“You tell me. I’ve only been in the demigod business for a couple of weeks.” He thought about it.

“Circe…”

“Circe?”

“Ya, she was the one who would turn her enemies into animals. According to Percy and Annabeth, they met her in the sea of monsters. I think she turned Percy into a guinea pig. She likes to recruit girls as sorceresses and turned guys into guinea pigs.” I thought he was joking, but apparently not.