Chapter 68

Chapter 68: Alex

I opened one eye experimentally, but nobody noticed me. Leo was pinned against the wall with a knife against his throat. Piper was the same way, but Circe had focused all her attention towards Leo.

“Now, if you value your friends life, and your own, I would start talking.” She snarled. He drew a sharp breath as the knife dug into his neck. “So…” she looked around, and her eyes landed on me. I squeezed my eyes shut, but not before she saw me. “Why is it that you always fall in love with those who can never love you back?” I open my eyes a sliver. He looked over at me.

“Shut up Circe.” He let out a yelp of pain, as a drop of blood fell to the stone floor.

“Start talking Leo Valdez. No, I can’t let you die. Oh no, of course not. But I can torture you all I want, so I recommend you start talking.” She paused, and smirked in my direction. “Tell me, how did you feel when Alex told you she met you, betrayed you, and then wiped your memory?”

“I’m not telling you anything.” Circe frowned. She threw another knife, and it hovered above his chest.

“Maybe this will change your mind.” She flicked her wrist again, and the knife slashed his chest. He screamed, as his blood splattered the stone, and stained his shirt. It took all I had in me not to get up and help him, but I had to time it perfectly if I was going to save my friends and defeat Circe once and for all.

“I’m, not telling, you anything.” He gasped, breathing heavily.

“Well, well, well. Aren’t you acting like a little hero today? Well maybe this should make you talk.” The knife flew across the room and hovered over Piper’s chest. Leo’s eyes widened and fear finally struck his expression. “I have no problem killing her. She is no use to me, except to hurt you.” The knife dug into her throat and she yelp as a drop of her blood trickled down her neck.

“Fine! I’ll tell you!” The knives loosened a bit and the knife over Piper’s heart clattered to the floor. Circe raised an eyebrow.

“Talk.” She demanded.

“Ok, fine. I didn’t trust her afterward! I felt betrayed. Is that what you wanted to hear?” he yelled. Circe smiled.

“Yes, that’s exactly what I wanted to hear.” Leo was wincing in pain. “And yet, you still love her? Why?” Leo took a shaky breath.

“What do you want with me?” he demanded. Circe rose to her feet.

“Because all I want is my strength. I need Alex’s help, but you and I both know that you will be my downfall, if I do not destroy you first; or if you fail. But if I have a downfall, you will be behind it.”

“Then kill me.” He muttered between gritted teeth. She laughed.

“You know that would only give me hardship. You don’t miss something until after it’s gone, Leo Valdez. You of all people should know that.”