Chapter 75

Chapter 75: Leo

Alex was queen now. This just keeps getting worse and worse. She stuck her hand out and the wind blew through room. Then she pulled back again. She looked puzzled, as if wondering what the heck she was doing.

"C'mon Circe! Finish him off!" Wait, Circe? No, that wasn't right, but Alex didn't seem to notice. She seemed distracted, like she was arguing with herself. Suddenly, she flicked her wrist, pointing at me. I blinked, then sighed. Where was I? I was back on the tallest tower with the blown out window. Hazel and Frank suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

"Frank!" Hazel yelped. "I thought you were still at camp Jupiter."

"I was, but then Jason and a few others asked Reyna to come help out our Greek friends, and when she disagreed, Jason flew us over here anyway. But I don't know what I'm doing here."

"I can tell you that." Hecate was back. "You see, I need witnesses, and what is better than two romans? One that is not supposed to be here and another that is desperately in love with the other."

"And what is it that you plan on doing?" I ask quizzically. Alex suddenly burst through the doors.

"Get out of my palace mother." She snapped. Hecate sneered.

"No. Everything is almost perfect. There's just one more thing standing in the way."

"Ya, and it's you. Now get out of here. I'm not scared of you." She laughed.

"You should be." She thrust her hand at Alex and she started choking. In Hecate's hand was something pure silver that radiated power. Then I realized, it WAS power. It was Alex's powers. "Yes Tempest, you see, this is a curse. I can take this power from you. It's probably a stupid idea, but I could. Alex took a few deep breaths, but Hecate still had her magic in her hand.

Alex's face was the color of a pepper. I don't think I've seen anybody angrier.

"You are important, but it wouldn't be a big deal if you died. I could just transfer my powers to some other child. It would take about 15 years, but when you're immortal like me, fifteen years is hardly a long wait." Alex stepped in front of me. Frank and hazel stood awkwardly on the other side of the room, ready to fight if they had to.

"You didn't take the entire curse. Circe is still in my head." I literally didn't understand half the words she just said. Why was Circe in her head? I thought Circe was a guinea pig. I really had no idea what was going on. Why did the curse suddenly go full force? There were too many unanswered questions that I may never know the answer to. "So what do you plan on doing because I can't take this anymore!" She sounded a little less evil and more desperate this time. She sounded a little bit more like Alex, but that could also just be my mind playing tricks on me.

"Just move aside and let me finish this little imbecile off. I should have known it was him. I should have killed him a couple of years ago. Of course I knew exactly what she was talking about, but I decided to ignore it.

"No. Give me back my powers, and get out of my castle." I couldn't tell if she as trying to protect me or if she just wanted to torture me herself.

"Stop with these foolish games, girl, and get out of the way!" Hecate demanded furiously.

"Make me."

"What?" Hecate snarled.

"You heard me. MAKE ME. I dare you." Alex snarled back. Hatred filled in Hecate's pure black eyes. She flicked her wrist and Alex slammed against the window. I suddenly remembered that she didn't have her powers, and I ran to the ledge. Alex was about a foot and a half below, holding on with one hand to a little ledge in the rock. I turn to Hecate.

"Help her!" I say desperately. She looked at the power that she had put in a jar that she conjured from thin air. She shrugged.

"I have what I want from her. Like i said, I can restore Circe's powers into another child and just wait 15 years. And believe me, for an immortal goddess, 15 years is not that long. Besides, then they won't be bothered with having Circe in their minds. That's just special to Alex." My mouthed dropped open.

"She's still your daughter!" I yell.

"I have others! It's no big deal." Ok, it's official that Hecate is the worst mom ever.

I ran back to the windowsill. Hazel and Frank stood right near. "Frank! Can't you turn into a dragon or something and get her?" Frank shook his head sadly.

"No, I tried, but my magic isn't working either!" Hecate, who was still staring into the jar, laughed and raised her hand.

"That would be my fault actually. I think I'm going to leave now actually." And with that, the goddess of magic disappeared. I turn back to Alex, and lean out the window.

"Alex, take my hand!" I yell. She just stared up at me. "Let me help you!"

"Why would you want to help me? I was gonna kill you!" She shouted.

"Because that's what good people do." I point out.

"No, you're lying. Tell me the truth!" She demanded.

"Alex please! Just grab my hand." She didn't move

"Not until you explain." You have to be kidding me. She was hanging with one hand off the tallest tower of a castle, and she was demanding an explanation of why I wanted to help her. Then again, I really had nothing to lose. The world was going to end anyway. At least this way I would die trying.

"It's because I love you." I said quietly. Alex's eyes widened. Her eyes flickered purple. She looked light headed. I might have gone too far, then suddenly, she looked back up at me.

"I love you too." My stomach tightened into a knot, but in a good way.

"Please Alex, take my hand!" I say, a little more urgently. She looked apologetic.

"I'm sorry Leo." Sorry? No, sorry wasn't good. "I can't take this anymore. I can't handle this pain."

"Alex..." I warn. She reached up and squeezed my hand.

"I love you," she repeated. She shut her eyes, and took a deep breath. She took one last look up at me.

"ALEX! NO!" I screamed, as Alex let go, and plummeted down to the earth.