Chapter 77

Chapter 77: Alex

The room dissolved, and I fell through the air. Landing with a sickening CRACK. I knew I broke a bone, but I felt no pain, which didn’t make sense. I looked down and realized I fell onto a nice soft pile of human remains.

I glance around curiously. It smelled horrible. There were tall wooden double doors at one side of the room, but other than that, there were only scattered bones and carcasses. I as got closer to the doors, I realized that there were faces carved into wood, and they were moving. There was something about Greeks and their dramatic doors, but I think this one took the prize for creepiest. I open the doors, not having anything better to do, and walked inside.

“It’s about time.” Said a voice. I looked around, and finally noticed a throne of ones in the shadows, with the silhouette of a large man sitting in it. Stepping closer I could see him a bit better. I assumed he was Hades, considering the stench, and the dead people, and the throne of bones. “I’m sure you were just talking to Aphrodite? Yes, she seems to think everything that has to do with ‘love’ is automatically her business.” There was a moment of silence. “Well come closer girl.” I wrinkle my nose.

“Uh, I’d rather not.” I could imagine the lord of death raising his eyebrow.

“And why would that be?”

“Well here’s a thought. You smell… delightful.” I say sarcastically. Hades frowned.

“Hasn’t anyone ever told you not to piss off a god?” I think about it for a moment.

“No.” Hades grunted.

“We she probably make that more clear to our children in the future.” He muttered to himself. He turned back to me. “But back to the problem at hand. I hear that you wish to live.” Shouldn’t that be fairly obvious? But I nodded, not wanting him to have any other reasons to hate me. “Truthfully, I have very little control over this. Actually, it’s not up to me at all. Everything about you relies on a curse: your life, your death, your friends, your feelings, everything. The curse hasn’t completely broken yet, so I can’t send to the underworld. In fact, you may never. You still are partially alive. In fact, it seems like a lot of fairy tale crap at this point. I didn’t even know this sort of thing was possible.” Hades had gone back to muttering to himself.

“Uh, Lord Hades? Yes, um, if I’m not alive, and I can’t die, what am I supposed to do?”

“Probably just sit here and rot for the rest of eternity.” He wasn’t joking either.

“Do I have any control over whether I sit and rot or not?”

“Nope. That’s all up to that weird scrawny kid that loves you. Let’s see whether he knows his fairy tales.” What?