Chapter 06

"We're here," Cass said, as she maneuvered the SUV to block a narrow alleyway. They climb out and Bobby looked up.

The Science building is an almost exact replica of the engineering building across the garden. It has 5 stories with six massive rooms each, except the ground floor where it serves as the accounting office for the entire science department.

The way the University is structured is that most major facilities like buildings and houses are lined up around the University's most famous land mark, which is the Sunken Garden.

Think of it like the New York's central park. A massive 42-hectare land covered by trees and grasses. On the very top edge of the garden is a real life amphitheater that can house several hundred people. Its walls and high benches, as well as the surrounding trees, are all strategically design to keep the unique natural acoustic around it.

Next to it is the Olympic-size soccer field used mainly by the amateur enthusiast. The ancient L-shape university library then cut the garden in half. The library is probably the biggest facility in the whole university itself. Then across the road and beyond is the actual garden proper.

It is called the sunken Garden because the property slope downward up to ten feet from the main road that surrounds it. The Garden itself is 22 hectares of trees, lagoon, paved walkway, buffalo grass, and thousands of species of flowers and other plants. It is a famous place for families and lovers to relax. Bobby and Agnes had lots of fond memories in the shades of that park.

Well, at least, Bobby did.

Cass raised the hand brakes, then look around the deserted streets. "No one is around. Good."

Bobby and Cass disembark, and wearily started walking to the side of the building. The adjacent building next to it is the linguistic building. It's only a one story building but as wide as the science building itself. Many locals call the place "The Embassy" because lots of foreigners move in and out of the building. It held a lot of offices for the faculty of the entire university as well. Bobby is familiar with the building because every semester, He needed to talk with the various professor in that building to ask for an extension of his tuition. The university has a policy that exams can only be taken only after tuition fee is fully paid for, except if you are exempted by the professor, that is.

But that was a different world now, never mind the fact that only several hours had passed to transition to the world they have now. The place is now eerily quiet, deserted, abandoned. And of course, terribly dangerous.

Every nearby sound will make the two even more tense than they already are, while the far away noise of emergency sirens, gunshots and the occasional explosions they consciously ignored and relegated as background noise.

"Here," Cass said, pointing to a side door. Bobby recognize the side door as the back entrance to the kitchen of one of the cafeteria inside the building.

There are two cafeteria in the science building. The main cafeteria is underground on the other side of the building. That place can handle 200 to 300 people all at once but Bobby always find the food a bit bland. The smaller, slightly more posh cafeteria that they are entering now is in the ground floor. It can hold 2-30 people, but the food is far better, albeit more expensive.