Book 2 Chapter 01:

Authors Note:

So I'm continuing my story, but just a little heads up, The word count for each chapter might vary in every chapter as I try to find the optimum word volume I can sustain in the most frequent rate I can churn out the chapters without dropping the quality. So please bare with the confusion for a little while longer.

Without further ado, I give you Volume 2 of Gamer of the Dead:

************************

Bobby stared outside the entrance of a famous street in the heart of Manila. The place doesn't know if it wants to be sleazy or not, but the road is definitely a place to hang out. A place where young hipsters go out during their rest day from work during the old days.

The old days, heh. Bobby thought, amused. The apocalypse hasn't even lasted four days yet.

The paved road of the street had experienced its share of riots and looting, but the place still has a lot to offer for a scavenger such as he. Besides, the most important thing for him is that the area is relatively zombie-free at the moment.

There are a few isolated zombies locked within the various buildings, but that is infinitely better than the thirty or more zombies milling around the next street.

Bobby knew this by monitoring the mana lines. Is that the right word? Monitor?

Technically, it's incorrect because although he can see the mana lines using his mage sight, most of the time he relies on the feelings around him and the mana lines is more attune to him by tasting it in the air. And yes, that's the best way he can explain it.

But it gave him a considerable advantage to slip past most zombies in his quest to return to his family, and he made full use of it.

It's been several hours since the bridge battle and night had come again to the city. The place should have been pitch black, but because of Bobby's magical eye patch, he can see the surrounding area as bright as day.

The temporary respite in this street means it gives him some time to loot the place, and with his bottomless inventory, he can steal a lot of things.

The first store Bobby entered is a high-end Men's wear boutique that offers brand named coats and ties and various men's accessories. Bobby came in for one single item: a watch.

When they left the university, his smartphone is still actually working but without signals or reception. He used the device mainly to tell time. But now that the phone battery is dead, he decided to get an actual watch to show him the time and at times, the day. Using a clip he didn't remember where he got, Bobby unlocked the watch display case. For some reason, Bobby didn't want to add to the destruction of the place, and why he didn't just smash the case.

After a moment of deliberation, Bobby chose a sports watch that promises to be waterproof as well. The maker is Jaeger-LeCoultre, something Bobby has never heard of. He put it on, admired it then he started to leave the store. Bobby hesitated for a moment, then grab a few long sleeve shirts, all the medium underwear, a few handkerchiefs and the thickest socks he can find. Satisfied, he left the store.

The next store he visited is a handyman store. Inside, Bobby smiled. The place is relatively intact since many looters didn't find the wares interesting or important enough to take.

He ignored the cement tiles and DIY furniture in front and even the power tools and accessories. He went to the standard, manual tools and grabbed all the knives, hammers, axes, chisel, wrenches, spades, pickaxe, hooks, saws, screwdrivers and many other hand tools that he couldn't name at the moment.

Then he went back to the power tool and choose a few cordless, battery operated power tools. The cells of all sizes came next. He grabs flashlights, lamps, other emergency lights, portable mosquito repellants, those manual crank radios, and even one or two high-end antennas.

He switched to the paint section and grabbed a few brushes, thick gloves, sandpapers, and assorted tapes. He also seizes a few solvents and chemicals like wood preservatives, thinners, and even a can or two of paints. Lastly, he emptied the shelf of padlocks and small chains.

He was about to go when he happened upon sacks of dog food. Without really thinking about it, he started grabbing each bag and stuffing it on his inventory. He was on his fourth sack when he realized what he is doing. What the hell am I doing? I don't even have a dog, He thought. But then he shrugs and let the last sack into his inventory.

The moment he steps outside he saw a pair of man and woman walking purposefully in the same street. They saw him almost at the same time, and Bobby didn't like the man's sneer toward him. They were wearing a pair of infrared goggles. Where they found such a rare device, Bobby will never know.

The man steps forward pulling out a shotgun. He had a huge smile on his face. "Well, well. What do we have here? I think we just found ourselves some lost sheep. Doesn't he look like a lost sheep, darling?"

The woman just giggled at her man while still looking at Bobby.

"Well, lost sheep, I'm sorry to tell you this, but this is not your day today. Hand over the-"

Bobby barely slowed down when he reached into his inventory and pulled out a knife and a hand ax. Before the man could react, he already threw his weapon, and the knife stabbed right at the man's neck while the ax thudded directly at his temple. He was dead even before he fell to the ground.

The woman started shrieking as she fell to the ground, trying desperately to stop the faucet of blood gushing out her man. "What have you done?! Armando! Don't die! Armando!"

Bobby crossed the street and entered another store. Bobby was mentally shaking his head. Many people love the idea of lawlessness at this beginning of the apocalypse because they feel that the original life they are living is a dreary one. The intention of abandoning your humanity has a beautiful ring of poetry in it ... until you yourself experience the receiving end of such abandonment and things suddenly don't look so rosy anymore.

Bobby closes his ears and mind to the wail of the woman in the street and walks on.

*********************

Buy me a coffee sometime,

https://ko-fi.com/O4O2GRXT

Also if you want to help out, this is my Patreon page:

https://www.patreon.com/batotit

and again, thank you for reading :D