Chapter 15

Bobby steps out of the tent into a cold sunrise. He stretched his body like a cat and inhaled deep the cold fresh air of the mountain side. He smiled at the orange sky painted by the new sun, whose crown is just emerging from the horizon.

The other tents are starting to wake up as well and many people, with messy and groggy appearance, all troop down the long wooden table where the homeroom adviser is preparing breakfast. Rows of juicy sausage, fresh eggs, crispy slices of bacon and huge towers of pancakes awaited the class.

But Bobby was looking for someone else. The one thing that really made this trip truly special. And there she was, sitting on the edge of a wooden fence, overlooking the lazy sunrise as he started the day.

Bobby walks over to her and hugs her from behind, smelling her fresh cologne entangled in her soft dark brown hair. Three months had passed since they'd been officially a couple and the novelty of having the exclusive rights to hold her still drops him with awe. I'm with her! With freaking Agnes Solomon! How in the world did that happen?! Bobby thought, smiling.

"A penny for your thought?"

Agnes smiled, leaning back to him. "I'm thinking of the sunrise. I love the sunrise."

"Why? It's just a ball of gas and fire."

Agnes shook her head and rolled her eyes. "God you're so romantic," she said sarcastically. "And you're talking about the sun, not the sunrise."

"So what do you like about the sunrise?"

"Nothing, let's eat," Agnes said laughing. She hops down the wooden screen, but Bobby grabbed her back.

"I'm serious," Bobby said earnestly. "What do you like about the sunrise?"

"Why? Why do you want to know?"

Bobby shrugged. "I wanna know more about you. Why you like stuff, what you're thinking at any moment, why you do what you do."

Agnes sighed and hug Bobby again. "I like the sunrise because it represents to me a new day."

"A new day?"

"Yes. A new day. like a new start, a reboot. It's like you are allowed to do everything again, except this time, better. Much better."

"Wow," Bobby said, looking at his girlfriend with awe. "You're like Gandhi or one of those Greek philosophers. That's just deep. If that's how you look at the sunrise, I wonder what you think of the full moon?"

Agnes laughed. God, I love hearing her laugh, Bobby thought, smiling.

"Well this Gandhi is starving, be a useful boyfriend and grab us a plate before those vultures eat everything!"