Book 2, Chapter 97:

Thank you all for reading! We are fast approaching the end of book 2, and again, I thank you for your support.

Remember to follow, favorite, comment, and rate if you find this story entertaining. This is the small things that keep an author going.

*************************************************

Gorio watched the young man from his hiding place as he struggled through his tears. He saw the same helplessness and agony and self-hatred in the face of his former team leader what he had felt months ago when his wife sacrifice herself so he can live.

He remembered feeling so desolate that he wanted to kill himself in the dark and dank places of the back alleys of the city. But he didn't. His life is so much more precious now because his wife sacrifices herself for a wretched man like him.

And so he will survive, survive this fucking apocalypse because his life is that important. He couldn't care less the dirty looks he received from the others or how they feel about him. All that matters is that he survives, so when he first saw that big ass golem, he didn't have to second-guess himself when he decided to run.

He just ran and ran until he found this little place, giving him some privacy to replace his pants because of a certain, err, accident.

He'd seen this young man work, how he kept his focus and kept his wits before him. He may never always see eye to eye with Bobby, but it doesn't matter. The boy was a survivor, just like him. And deep inside, he knew that this man would somehow make a difference. And by keeping the boy hang on, by keeping him motivated to live on no matter the cause, then it will increase his own chances of survival.

Gorio's own eyes started misting, but he stopped himself savagely. He remembered the first time he met his wife in that party a long, long time ago. They were young and happy and full of life. Their path laid before them. "I miss you so much darling," Gorio whispered. "And I lost my path the moment I lost you."

Aye, my love, you did. Now give this young man back his.

He imagined his wife would say. Are you still with me, love? I miss you so much.

He stepped out of his hiding place.

*******************************

Bobby jerks back the moment he sensed the presence of another person and cursed himself for not keeping his guard up. He hastily wipes the tears in his eyes.

"Hey Bobby, is that you?"

Bobby' spirit slumped even further after recognizing Gorio, his former teammate. "Gorio," he answered.

"It is good that I saw you here," He said. "Listen, I need a big favor. I know that you are chummy with that hot broad, the big crime boss, what's her name."

"What is it?"

"... and I am hoping that you can give a good word for me and she can give me another team."Despite himself, Bobby narrowed his eyes in disapproval. "You lost your entire team?"