Chapter Twenty-Five: Truth

Two weeks had passed since Senri, Ikuto, and I were reunited. Everything had been pretty calm at the academy. I was focusing on my studies and reconnecting with the two people I loved. Although he gave me a few occasional glares, Kaname stopped trying to cause trouble with me, which I was overjoyed about.

It was nighttime and we were in class. Everything was normal: the teacher was babbling about his lesson and everyone was writing notes down. Suddenly a scent filled the air, and I knew it all too well.

Blood? I thought.

"Lord Kaname," Aidou, the blondie with ice powers, said, "may I be excused?"

Kaname nodded slyly and Aidou left the room. At that moment my head began to throb uncontrollably and both Senri and Ikuto looked at me worried. I stood without warning and proceeded to leave the room as well. No one objected. When the door slammed shut behind me I ran to the nearest bathroom and leaned over a sink, holding my neck in agony. I coughed a few times before I looked into the mirror and saw a shocking sight: my eyes stained a crimson luster.

What the hell?! I thought hastily. This has never happened before! Well...except when--

Why are you holding back? The voice cooed in my head. Your hunger will only grow if you resist it.

Like I care, I thought quickly with a strained face.

I put my hand quickly in my pocket and took out a single white tablet. I popped it in my mouth without a second thought, with nothing to wash it down. Within seconds I felt relief and when I looked in the mirror once more my eyes were back to their normal blood red color.

I sighed and thought, Time to go see the cause of that smell.

I left the bathroom and exited the building. Through some trees I could see Aidou and Akasuki in the presence of Yuuki and two Day Class girls. Yuuki looked to be on guard because she had a silver rod out and it was pointed directly at Aidou. When Aidou touched it blue sparks lit his hand, but he subsided the pain. I saw him grab Yuuki's wrist and she instantly began to struggle in Aidou's grasp. I instantly noticed his fangs while the two Day Class girls fell unconscious.

"Aidou!" I exclaimed, stepping out of the shadows. "What do you think you're doing?"

"Lady Akane!" He exclaimed, letting go of Yuuki. "I smelt blood and I..."

"Thought you could just disobey the rules of this academy?" I asked, stepping forward and glaring at Aidou. "Wrong choice."

I walked up to Yuuki and wrapped my hand around her scraped palm. I smiled slyly and cooed, "Let's go clean this up before it gets infected."

I dragged Yuuki away from Aidou and Akasuki without saying another word. As we left I felt a strong presence appear, likely Kaname, but I wasn't about to go back and check. We went into the main building where the classes were held and made our way to the Infirmary in silence. I sat Yuuki out on a white bed and got out a few medical supplies. 

"I'm sorry," Yuuki said suddenly as I got out some cotton and alcohol, "I must've stirred the Night Class up. I was too reckless."

"They didn't get too rowdy. I only saw a few students look shocked," I said sweetly, pouring alcohol on the cotton and walking over to Yuuki, "What exactly happened? Sorry if this hurts."

Yuuki winced as I put the cotton on her bruised hand before saying sternly, "Those two Day Class students were trying to get pictures of the Night Class students. They were breaking the rules so I jumped down from the balcony to stop them and cut my hand on the branch of a tree."

"Then Aidou showed up," I giggled, "he left class right after the smell of blood entered the classroom."

I stood and grabbed the patch I placed on the counter. I walked back over to Yuuki and placed it over her scratches. She thanked me and proceeded to leave, but she stopped at the doorway and turned to look at me. She looked nervous, like she wanted to say something but she wasn't sure if she should.

"Akane," she mumbled, "we're friends, right?"

My eyes went wide, "Of course!"

"And friends can trust each other with anything, right?" Yuuki asked nervously, twiddling with her fingers.

"Yeah..." I said. "Yuuki what do you want to ask me?"

Yuuki sighed heavily before asking me, "Why do you hate Kaname-senpai so much? Your siblings...so why?"

My eyes went wide and my lips quivered. Surprisingly I kept my mouth shut, stood, walked over to Yuuki, and placed my hand on her shoulder. Her eyes went wide by my sudden action.

"Something bad happened between us awhile ago," I cooed calmly before saying sternly, "I'll never get over it."

Yuuki dipped her head, "Do you mind that I'm close with Kaname-senpai?"

I smiled, "Your not him so no, of course not."

Yuuki wrapped her arms around me before rushing out of the room.

Kaname's POV

After punishing Aidou and Akasuki for attempting to drink blood on campus I went to Kaien's office to discuss something important with him. Kaien obviously wasn't expecting me to be there to talk to him about this so soon, but I couldn't wait any longer.

"Why are you so worried about what Akane does?" Kaien asked. "The way I see it is if you leave her alone she behaves perfectly."

"Have you ever thought that she might be here for a purpose? After a decade of not hearing from her she randomly decides to enroll into Cross Academy without a purpose," I said coldly.

"She told me herself that she is here to learn," Kaien purred, "and that if you leave her alone no trouble will start."

"That might've been a lie!" I exclaimed suddenly.

"Kaname," Kaien suddenly said sternly, "even though you're concerned about what she does and you still care for her, she doesn't care for you the slightest bit. Why is that?"

I sighed, "She doesn't know the truth. Her whole life has been a lie so far, and I'm worried what will happen to her because of it. Everything was perfectly fine, until that day..."

"Does she know about Yuuki?" Kaien asked.

I shook my head, "No, I don't think so. Although she's forged a strong bond with Yuuki, she doesn't know that she is her sister. Who knows what will happen when she does."

"Do you intend to find out what happened in her past?" Kaien asked. "You need to know the truth if you want to help her reclaim what she's lost."

"I will find a way to do so, even if she hates me more for it. She'll remember the good times we shared soon, and she'll care for me again," I said calmly, "goodnight Kaien."

I left Kaien's office with a blank expression on my face. I instantly began to think of Akane, and of all the good times we shared when we were younger.

All of which are clouded by hate because of what he did.