Chapter Forty-Four: Peak

Before I knew it I had actually fallen back asleep as well. I didn't have another one of those crazy dreams. Actually, I didn't have a dream at all.

When I did wake up, however, I noticed that sleeping beauty was now awake and he was staring at me in the face. I smiled at him, to which he responded with a slight gasp and a topple off of the bed.

I sat up and asked, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," Senri mumbled, rubbing his head. "Sorry...."

"Sorry for what?" I asked confused.

"For---um....." Senri could barely get the words out. After a few seconds I realized that he was acting this way because we laid in the same bed together. I didn't see the harm in it, but Senri was obviously embarrassed.

He's so cute.

"This reminds us of when we were kids," I cooed. "Wouldn't you agree?"

Senri gave me a dumbfounded expression before he let a smile etch its way across his face.

"I guess it does," he chuckled.

I suddenly remembered what happened to me before I fell unconscious. I began to act crazy right in front of Senri. Surely he'll ask about that. I can imagine that he'd be concerned.

"Akane..."

Here we go, I thought.

"I don't know if you remember but before you passed out you were acting strange." Senri said shyly. "I was worried about you."

"You don't have to be," I said with a strained face. "I'm fine."

Senri gave me a look, a look that said he didn't believe me one bit.

"We've known each other for a long time, Akane. I can tell you're not okay," Senri said sternly.

Senri sat next to me on the bed and cupped his hands with mine. I looked down at our entwined hands and felt safe. I'm not saying I didn't feel so before, but in that moment I felt like all of my troubles ceased to exist. I smiled slightly, before all of the painful memories returned and I tried hard to keep that smile on my face. I reversed the placement of our hands, mine now on top of his, before I sighed heavily.

"Senri, I don't know what to say to you," I mumbled. "Nor know where to begin."

Senri's expression softened and I felt him wrap his arms around me, pulling me in close to his embrace. It felt nice to be this close to him. I wanted that to last for longer than I knew it would. But I just decided to savor the moment.

"It's okay," Senri cooed in my ear. "I'll listen. It won't be like last time. I promise."

My expression widened for a moment.

"I'm glad," I finally muttered.

I paused and began to think about what I was going to say. I wanted to tell him so much but I also didn't want to tell him anything.

Be honest and don't hold back. If you do, he'll get upset.

He said he wouldn't, I thought. I trust his words.

We'll see.

I ignored the voice and unwrapped myself from Senri. I looked at him in the eye before I felt a hand on my cheek. I smiled and proceeded to tell Senri at least a chunk of what was happening with me.