Chapter 4: Falling Down, Falling Down

Batman, Robin, Barbara and Alfred hurried into the Batmoblie, activating a button to turn it into the Batplane. Robin had worried-filled eyes. He looked to his friends and tilted his head slightly.
"So where are we heading to again, padre?" He asked. As the plane took off and headed towards their designated location, the Dark Knight looked at Robin. "We're going to the largest Skyscraper."

Barbara gasped, "what!? What the heck happened there?!"
Alfred's eyes widened with terror. "I will be surprised if it is the Joker, trying to take over the city, yet again."

"Yeah. Me too. But, the mayor said she saw the Scarecrow with someone in one of the rooms. She said that the police and fire department staff are knocked out. So, obviously, something major is happening," Batman replied, turning slightly to his butler who was wearing the 60's Batman suit.

Robin nodded and whimpered slightly. He looked at his adopted father and looked down. "Maybe he wants to destroy the city?"

Alfred nodded, "perhaps. The last time your father has stopped the Scarecrow, he was trying to blow up half of Gotham. Of course, your father stopped him." Robin nodded cheerfully.

Barbara rolled her eyes. "I only remember that because my dad, the retired commissioner, had a panic attack."

Batman chuckled and kept flying to the Skyscraper. "Heh, yeah. Won't forget that day. But this has to be big if he knocked out the entire police force and firefighter department."

Robin nodded as he looked out the window. A burning Skyscrapper, with fire everywhere you would look, was outside. "Dad!" Robin exclaimed in a worried tone, which shook the Dark Knight. "Is that the building we gotta g-go to?"

Batman nodded and turned towards the burning tower. He let Barbara and Alfred take out the fire amd control the Batplane while Robin and Batman headed to the roof hurriedly.

The two heros hid behind a corner and Batman saw the Joker, trembling in fear. Of course, he was slightly surprised, but he didn't blame the clown. The Scarecrow does bring chills to the bone. Robin looked at Batman and whimpered slightly. He trembled slightly.
"Padre," he whispered silently. "I think I'm scared."

"Don't be, Robin," Batman replied with a comforting grin. "We can do this together!"

Robin nodded, a bit more confident than before and smirked. Batman then heard the Scarecrow, hissing at the Joker as he ran for it. A black, green fog formed around Robin and Batman. They coughed slightly and the Dark Knight began to panic. He covered Robin's mouth and they headed towards an area in which there was no green fog.

"I want to play a game with you, boss," Scarecrow gave a low chuckle as he searched for the clown. Batman listened in carefully and dashed into a small janitor room. He left the door half open and looked at Robin.

Joker was hiding in a corner and listened in. The Scarecrow chuckled again, "if you come out, I'll give you a hint in order to stop the bomb."

Robin trembled. He looked at his father again and whimpered. "A bomb!?" He whispered shakily. Batman, of course, shrugged and shushed his son.

Joker saw a small remote control in Scarecrow's hand. That must be the switch to turn it off, Joker thought to himself. He got up and sighed.

Suddenly, half of the roof began to collapse. A large burst of fire reached the top of they Skyscraper and several water pipes broke. Smoke and more of the horrid green smog filled the air.

Batman grunted as the door of the janitor room began to catch a flame. He and Robin began to search for a fire extinguisher. Luckily, Batman found one and sprayed it at the door. Scarecrow heard the sound of it and chuckled. "Seems like we are not all alone..."

Joker gasped and heard a small, but silent, scream emerge from the door. Now, the room where the two heroes were in was on fire. It had spread like butter on a skillet with unnatural speeds. Scarecrow laughed at this and grinned. He could see Joker very clear now. The clown came out of the hiding spot and growled angrily at Scarecrow.

Batman managed to get Robin out of the room and saw Joker, attacking the Scarecrow angrily. Batman tried to grab Scarecrow's neck, but he moved to fast. Robin then tried to kick him over and over. Again, he had failed. However, Joker managed to grab the Scarecrow's arm and kicked his chest over and over. Batman got up and grabbed the remote quickly and passed it to Robin. "Press the button, now!" He shouted. Scarecrow laughed at the Joker and tossed him onto the ground and chuckled. He grabbed his throat and cut off his oxygen.

Robin quickly pressed the blue, glossy button and the familiar sound of a ticking clock had stopped. Batman sighed and smiled at Robin and turned to the Scarecrow. Robin gasped and tried to attack the doll-like man, but failed yet again.

"You're so pathetic! I can never understand why you would be Batman's supposed greatest enemy. You're an idiot!"

Joker began to cough up blood, his vision was blurry and his breathing was low. He grinned and sighed.

"At least... I'm not a walking... Voodoo doll!" With that, he tried to kick the Scarecrow off of him. The doll-like man then sprayed the green smog of knock out gas at Joker, making him almost faint.
However, Batman punched Scarecrow in the back of his neck and Robin kicked him in the rear end. Scarecrow hissed and attempted to spray the knock out gas at them, but failed horribly and knocking himself out. Batman chuckled and smirked at Robin then looked at the Joker, who was groaning in pain. Batman walked over to the limp body and whimpered as the clown saw the Dark Knight approach him slowly. He kneeled down next to the Joker and smiled faintly. Robin also sat next to him.
"Will he be okay, padre?" He asked softly with worried eyes. Batman sighed and looked at Joker with hid blue eyes. Joker was about to be knocked out due to the gas that filled his lungs.

Curse that Scarecrow...

He leaned towards the clown and tilted his head slightly to the right. "What did you stop the Scarecrow? You could have let him destroy the city."

Robin nodded, "yeah! But instead, you attacked him. Why did you stop him?"

Before the Joker could answer the two hero's questions, he smiled and passed out. Batman sighed and picked up the clown bridal style and blushed slightly. He checked his pulse, which was at a calming beat. He smiled to Robin and sighed, "He needs to rest. We should take him back to the manor so he can recover."

Robin nodded, "will he be alright?"

Batman smiled to Robin and then to Joker's sleeping face. He gave a low hum and looked back at Robin again.

"He'll be okay, Robin. I promise."