Chapter 73: Shattered

When they finally fell into the galaxy-like water, Joker and Superman gasped for breath as they could see a ship from afar. The superhero pulled out the other and grunted as they began to fly in the air. The clown rubbed his eyes and blinked rapidly. In the broken boat, he could see a familiar figure laying in it on its left side. He gasped at the figure's shocking resemblance to his beloved and tugged at Superman's shoulder, receiving a simple nod from him. They headed down to the boat and landed safely onto it. A green fog was surrounding the ship. The superhero was surprised that the clown could see the figure. It seemed that the ship had just recently hit a large rock in the front and lost control. Three large holes were in each corner of the ship. But, Joker didn't care.

The clown ran to the figure and gasped in horror at the sight. It was the Dark Knight. In his left arm, a syringe was injected into his arm. A mixture of blood and a green substance treckled down from his nose and bottom lip. His eyes were closed, leaving a little bit of the familiar blue illuminating glow to be seen.

Joker dropped to his knees and put the caped crusader's head onto his lap, his hands trembled in shock. He grabbed the injected syringe and pulled it out, throwing it carelessly behind him. It almost his the man in tights, who gave a small squeak in surprise as the used syringe headed towards his face. The clown bit his bottom lip as tears formed in the corners of his acid green eyes.

"B-Batsy? Please, speak to me!"

Superman heard what the villain had said and hear him break into a sob as expected. But what didn't expect was to see Bruce in such a state only a horror film could describe it. He walked slowly over to the Joker and sat next to him. He glanced at the caped crusader, his eyebrows forming a U-shape. The fellow hero looked so lifeless in the Joker's arms. It was like he was dead. He placed a hand onto Batman's chest. Superman rubbed Joker's back and reassured to him that the hero was okay. His heart and lungs were very weak, but he was still, surprisingly, alive.

Joker looked at the tight wearing man and shook his head slowly. There was no way that the beloved hero was possibly alive. Or was it? He pit his hand over Batman's chest and gasped in surprise as he could feel little beats come from him. His chest moved up and down, as well.

Superman smiled at the sight as Joker kissed Batman's forehead and giggled softly to himself. He muttered something under his breath so that the superhero didn't hear him. Superman got up from his spot and turned around, hearing the familiar, yet haunting, bursts of laughter from afar. He gasped and looked at Joker, tugging at him slightly.
"We need to get out of here while we still can! We just need to ram this ship through the hole. That should work, right?"

"Why are you in a hurry all of a sudden?" Joker asked, glaring at the hero irritatingly. He then said, "besides, Batman is unconscious! Scarecrow did this to him, and I know it. But, we should wait until Batsy wakes up."

Superman growled slightly, but held in his anger. He released it with a long, quiet sigh. "That's just it, Joker. Scarecrow could have done this to attract us to him. He's here! I heard his laugh-"

"I don't care!" Joker yelled as a large stream of tears running down his chin and landed on his shirt. "Besides, why do you care?! You tried to murder him! You almost killed me! And then you say you have a crush on me? What kind of hero does that?!"

"The hero that cares about his rival!" Superman exclaimed, making the clown shudder in response. "Don't you think that I regret hurting you and almost killing Bruce?! Of course I do! I should have left you alone, but I didn't! So go ahead and blame me some more! This is all my fault, right?! After all, you can't let go of the past! Bruce and I both know that! It's pretty obvious!"

"Well, I'm sorry for being a mistake!" Joker suddenly screamed, making the Void echo what he had said. He glared at the superhero and sobbed slightly harder. He gritted his teeth in anger.
"That's all I am: a mistake! No matter what you all tell me, it makes me feel worse! I feel used, old, ugly! I don't expect a perfect, over powered superhero like you or someone like Batman to understand!" He got up from the ground and began to walk towards the tight wearing man, pulling out his rubber chicken from his sleeve.
"I'm just a mistake to you and Batman. And it'll always be that way."

"You're wrong, Joker," Superman said softly as he picked up the unconscious caped crusader and threw him over his arm. He looked at the clown and gave a soft sigh. "If you're a mistake, then why does Batman love you so much? Without you, there would be no Batman. You know that, don't you?"

Joker paused, looking at Superman in the eyes. He lowered his hand that had the rubber chicken and nodded slowly. "Yes. Batsy tells me that a lot. But, I don't believe him."

"That's a lie, Joker," Superman said softly. "And you know it. He loves you and wouldn't lie to you or Di- I mean - Robin."

Joker took a deep breath and nodded slowly, putting back his rubber chicken into his sleeve. He walked over to the superhero and let him throw him over his left shoulder, holding onto Batman's limp hand. Superman then began to fly upwards towards the hole, hearing the distant laughs of the doll-like man.