Chapter 76: Pessimistic Versus Optimistic

The gentle beats of the heart monitor echoed throughout Bruce Wayne's bedroom as he breathed weakily and very slowly. Inside his right arm was an i.v that injected an antidote to remove the substance that Scarecrow gave to the man in black.

Dick and Garfield were sitting in the kitchen with Alfred, looking at each other worriedly. Periodically, the butler would check on his master's health. This was because of how critical and unstable the caped crusader was. He was weaker than a newborn chick.

Joker was not with the children, however. He was sitting beside Bruce with tears in his eyes. His bottom lip quivered every once in a while. His red lips that had his iconic blood red lipstick on was smudged and messed up in disarray. Right now, he did not care about his appearance. He only cared about the Dark Knight.

Tears streamed down his pale cheeks as the clown carresed Batman's left cheek gently. It hurt Joker to see such a sight like this. A heartbeat was skipped on the monitor repeatedly. This made him even more afraid. Anxiety began to slowly take its toll as he trembled in fear. He backed away from his beloved caped crusader in fear that he might harm him as he began to have a major anxiety attack. So many possibilities could happen to his fiance. He could live, he could die. If he lived, they could forget this ever happened. But, right now, it seemed that the man in black was creeping closer and closer to death. Was it on purpose, though? Perhaps. Joker didn't know. Joker didn't want to know anymore.

His breathing hitched as he sobbed harder. He imagined seeing a tombstone that had his beloved's name written into it. The thoughts were intense and made Joker cry harder. He wanted Batman, his Batman, to be okay. It hurt him so hard that no one would be able to understand.

There was a reason why Robin, the precious little sidekick, was not aloud to see his father in such a state. Joker and Alfred did not want the poor young boy to have a panic attack or even an anxiety attack. It was best if the clown did, even though he knew that Batman would heavily disagree on such an act. No; if Batman was awake, he would say that it was illegal, and that he was going to the Arkham asylum. It was a heartwarming thought. It began to calm down the clown slowly.

But then, more negative thoughts filled Joker's cracked and twisted mind slowly, making him twitch and cry out in more pain and misery. It was all his fault. If he just stayed out of the way, none of this would have happened. If he wasn't so naive that Scarecrow would help him, all of this could have been prevented. Joker was to blame. He caused all of this to happen. It was his fault. His fault. His fault.

Suddenly, a gasp was heard as the door was slightly opening. Joker trembled more, still paralyzed in fear and guilt. A small boy with freckled all over his face and goggle-less approached the chubby man slowly. A large pair of glasses were on his face as he looked around the room. He turned to look at the man in black that was still being treated. The boy moved up in front of Joker and sat down. He then wrapped his arms around the clown's body. He did this for a few moments, until he pulled away and looked down.

Joker looked at the boy and tilted his head a little. The boy looked so similar to Robin in so many ways. His freckles, his eyes, his hair.

"My name is Dick Greyson," said the boy in a soft, yet very familiar, tone. He smiled at the clown and sighed a little. "I-I'm someone you know. You wanted me out of here because of Padre's health. But, I know why you did that, too! You were worried about me and how I would have reacted."

"Robin?" Joker asked as his eyes widened. He watched Dick nod slowly with a bigger, goofy smile. A giggle escaped his lips. The clown was astounded. He knew of Batman's true identity, but never of Robin's. It seemed abnormal to do such a thing. Especially right now.

Dick sat beside Joker and smiled softly to him. "I hope that Padre will be better soon."

"Me too," Joker replied as he looked down at the red and black carpet. "His heart keeps on skipping a beat. I'm scared we're going to lose him. And-and I know that tomorrow is your birthday. And having this happen to you is just-" he began to tear up once again, covering his lips to let a sob escape. "I'm so sorry that this had to happen to you. You're such a good kid! You don't deserve any of this."

"Neither do you," Dick said softly as he laid his head onto Joker's shoulder.  "You may be a badie, but you're a good badie, in a way. I know you don't get it, but I do! You helped save Padre, and Padre saved you. I-I know this isn't what I wanted to happen, but I know that Padre will be okay!"

"Why are you so optimistic about this? Your dad could die!"

Dick nodded and smiled, "and if he did ever die, I know that he would be watching us in the after world! Besides, he seems to be doing better than when you and mister Superlame brought him here."

"Superman," Joker said softly. "He saved your father. I'm no hero, kid. I'm a villain. Always have, always will. No one is going to change that. Not even the fanfiction writer!"

"What's a fanfiction writer?" Dick asked innocently.

"Don't worry about it, kid." They continued to sit on the ground and listened to the Dark Knight's slow, deep breaths. Joker smiled at Dick and ruffled his hair a little. A small chuckle escaped from his lips as he watched the freckled face boy giggle softly.

"What a goofball."