Chapter 19: All You Need is Love

A soft groan could be heard as the clown began to wake up from his slumber. It was a very peaceful sleep: no nightmares, no bad thoughts, and no dreams. This surprised the pale man at first. His eyes adjusted to the dim light inside of the bedroom, realising where he was. His eyes widened as he bit his lip. Was everyone safe and sound?

Joker looked to his right side, seeing a familiar figure laying beside him. His eyebrows furrowed into his eyes as he noticed that the figure was not horribly injured. Then, Joker's acid green eyes trailed down to his chest, gasping at the healing devices that were still attached to him. He remembered what Superman tried to do, his eyes burned with pure hatred at the time. Clark had almost murdered the man in black in front of his own son. If the clown had not saved him, Robin would have to witness his father's death. That would be traumatizing for the small, innocent boy. It was better if the clown got severely injured than Boy Wonder and the Dark Knight. He could care less about his own well-being. He had always been like that. Especially if there were children involved in the situation.

The Joker sighed shakily, moving closer to the sleeping Batman. His breathing was slow and calm. It was very relaxing to hear the other breath in and out. The clown then stroked his cheek gently, his face grew warm. He loved the man in black so much. He decided that he should tell him how he felt about him honestly. He did not care much about the negative backlash the two would get. As long as they were together, Joker felt invincible. Of course, he would still cause mayhem in Gotham, as always. It was his specialty, after all.

After awhile, he smiled as he put Batman's head on his lap, stroking his cheeks more. He smiled at the thought of being Batman's boyfriend. Of course, who wouldn't? But then, anxiety struck into his mind once more. If they were going to be together, would the caped crusader get flirted with the female superheroes and villains? And if they knew about Batman and Joker, how would they react? It was a terrible thought. He never wanted to leave Batman's side. He took the pain he felt. Batman made the clown feel real unlike any other. He was the clown's drug, and he loved it.

Suddenly, the Dark Knight began to stir, his eyes slowly fluttered open. He was greeted to the clown, a few inches away from his face. The pale man smiled at the superhero and giggled. "Good morning, sleeping beauty," he cooed softly.

Batman's face went warm, his blue, illuminating eyes blinking. He then realised that he had fallen asleep with the Joker. He bit his lip and slowly got up. The clown tilted his head as the superhero shook his head, placing a hand on his forehead. He then looked back at Joker and smiled softly to him.

"How are you feeling?" He asked, almost in a whisper.

Joker smiled, "much better, thank you!"

Batman nodded and folded his hands into a ball, looking at the clown with worry on his face. He then unfolded them and removed to healing devices from Joker's chest. The two holes from before had disappeared for good. It looked good at new.

Biting his lip, the Dark Knight looked into Joker's acid green eyes and felt his face getting warmer. He sighed and put the two devices onto the lamp table, his hands were shaking. The caped crusader still could not believe that the villain saved his life, sacrificing his own for the hero. It was all too confusing. He wanted answers.

He turned to the clown and let out a long sigh. He then furrowed his eyebrows. "Why did you save me? You could have been killed!"

Joker looked at Batman's hands and trembled a little. The man in black noticed this and put his hand on the other's thigh. The clown calmed down and licked his red smudged lips, looking into the Dark Knight's beautiful blue, illuminating eyes.
"I saved you because I couldn't lose you. In my nightmare, I dreamt of Superman killing you in front of me. He used his freaky eye lasers and killed you. I couldn't bare losing you in real life after you told me and Boy Wonder who you were fighting against. Plus, I had a feeling of what was going to happen. Robin didn't understand it, and I didn't blame him. I was afraid of telling you and him because I thought you wouldn't believe me." Tears began to form in the corners of his eyes. He looked down at his tattoos that were engraved into his arms. He then spoke again. "If I wasn't there to save you, Robin would have seen you murdered. It was better for me to take the hit than you. I care so much about you that you wouldn't even understand!"

"But I do," Batman said in a flat tone. "I know you care about me. I care about you, too. Otherwise, I would have left you to die back in the Fortress of Solitude. But I didn't because you mean so much to me." He looked at the Joker, cupping his face. He starred into his acid green eyes, seeing the clown cry more. The man in black felt tears forming in the corner of his own, lips trembled.
"You're more than my greatest enemy, Joker. You're my friend. You have always been my friend since the very beginning. Of course I would be sour, but now, I'm, somewhat, sweet. Do you understand?"

Joker nodded as his lips quivered. He had never seen the Dark Knight cry until now. It was like being stabbed in the heart.

Batman spoke up once more, "I don't think of you as my friend, Joker. I want us to be something more. You know that I'm terrible at expressing my emotions, but I'll try and explain." He coughed into his sleeve, looking back at the Joker with gentle eyes. "When I'm around you, my face gets warm. You make me happy whenever I hear that you caused havoc in the city. You're eyes are like knives, that lipstick you use on your lips makes you look more handsome, and you're very attractive."

Joker gasped, surprised at the Dark Knight's sweet words. Of course, whenever the clown was sad back at his hideout, Harley would say sweet nothing's to him. But, they were addressed as friend-love and nothing more. So hearing someone say this to the clown made him feel beautiful. He felt wanted and loved. Isn't that what anyone wants: love and kindnesss?

Joker tried to speak, the Dark Knight interrupted him, "I care so much about you, J-bird. More than you can ever imagine. You're my everything. You make my life exciting."

"Batman," Joker said in a raspy tone, tears falling down his pale cheeks. "I feel the same way about you. Without you, I would be lost! I'm so happy to have someone like you to have with me."

Batman nodded, smirking at the clown with sweet, loving eyes. He then said in a whisper, "if I tell you how I feel, don't be mad, alright?"

The clown nodded and smiled for a brief moment as he replied with, "I promise, Batsy."

The Dark Knight smiled and bit his lip, nervous to say the three special words. His breath was shaky as he looked at the Joker's gorgeous eyes. They were so breath taking to the man in black. And hopefully, he could see them more often.
Batman the licked his lips and stroked Joker's cheeks with his tumbs, face burning red. He then said in a sweet sounding voice, "I love you, Joker. More than you could ever imagine."

Joker gasped, more tears falling down his cheeks. They burned with blush when the Dark Knight said those three beautiful words that he would thought that he would ever hear. He was so surprised at the man in black. He couldn't take it anymore. The clown hugged the Dark Knight tightly, wrapping his arms around his neck. More Tears fell down from his eyes as they dripped down onto the man in black's broad shoulder. He was so happy that he couldn't speak. But, this concerned Batman as he gently wrapped his arms around Joker's waist, pulling him into his lap which the clown gladly sat on.

"Are you okay, J-bird?" He asked softly.

Joker nodded and wiped away his tears, looking into Batman's blue, illuminating eyes with a big smile. "Yes! I'm just very happy. I never expected you to say that to me, Batsy!"

"I said that to you because it's true," he replied with a smile. "I love you, and I would like you to be my boyfriend. If that's okay with you."

Joker almost fainted right then and there. He looked at Batman, smiling bigger than ever. He then kissed the middle of his forehead gently, leaving a kiss mark on it.
"Yes!"