Chapter 22: We are Number One

Dick giggled as Alfred drew a silly stick man on an old grocery store receipt, making the eyes cross-eyed. The butler chuckled as the boy drew an odd looking dog. It had spider legs, wings, and a Batman mask. It certainly looked unique.

Boy Wonder smiled as he could smell the chicken and mushroom soup that he and Alfred made together. He was really surprised when Alfred said that he should be a cook. Of course, he learned his abilities from his mother. She would make so many fancy dinners for her husband and son. Dick learned every single one of the dishes. Eventually, the boy began to make surprise dinners for his parents. His mother would always be speechless as the dinners would taste better than her own cooking! Dick's father would always reward his son by giving him a five dollar tip. One time, the freckled face boy saved up enough money to buy something for his mother and father. It was a large picture frame that said 'Family' on it. He always wanted one to put a great photo of him and his family in.

But unfortunately, due to an unfortunate event, he was never able to do so. Of course, now he had many 'family portraits' of his new family, but it wasn't the same. He loved his father and grandpa, but he missed his parents more than anything. Sadly, you cannot bring people back from the dead. Otherwise, it would be very scary.

Alfred noticed that the boy was beginning to zone out, his smile turning into a small frown. He tilted his head, putting a hand on the boy's shoulder. "Dick? Are you alright?"

No response.

The concerned the butler. It wasn't normal for Dick to be so silent. He noticed that his bottom lip began to quiver, his hands trembled. He then, unexpectedly, hugged Alfred tightly. He burried his face into the butler's suit, tears began to form in the corners of his eyes.

"Master Dick?" Alfred whispered, holding the boy gently. "What's wrong? Is it about your parents again?"

"Y-yes,'' Boy Wonder replied, hiccuping as he spoke. He looked up at the butler, his black, beady eyes drowned with tears and sorrow. "I miss them s-so much, grandpa. I love P-Padre, but I-I miss my mommy and d-daddy!" He broke into a sob, burrying his face into Alfred's chest once more. The boy didn't care what happened to his goggles througout this. He couldn't handle the loss of his parents. Not after what happened between Batman and Superman, it shook Boy Wonder down to the bone. What if he lost his adopted father? Would Alfred and Joker take care of him?

Alfred sighed, stroking the young boy's back in comfort. He whispered sweet things to Dick while he was looking down at the tiled floor. He made the butler remember the times when Bruce would cry over his great loss. You can't control life, unfortunately. Otherwise, it would be a strange game of Sims.

After about five minutes, Dick finally calmed down. His face was covered in tears and his goggles were all fogged up now. Alfred chuckled, quickly removing the goggles off of the boy and used his sleeve to wipe away the mini fog. He then put them back onto Boy Wonder's face, adjusting it a little.

Dick smiled at the butler. His face was still a little red after crying so hard. Alfred then went over to the cabinet and grabbed a raspberry Jolly Rancher lollipop, giving it to the boy.
"Since you have been a good boy these past days and to cheer you up, you may have this."

Dick blinked at the butler, smiling happily and hugged him again. "Thanks, grandpa! You're the best grandpa ever."

Alfred's heart fluttered at the words. They were sincere and truthful. His face warmed up a little, smiling softly at the freckled face boy. "Thank you, Master Robin."

"You're welcome!" He chripped. The timer let out an annoying ding as the soup was ready to eat. The two looked at each other and smiled. "Go get your father and Joker. I'll set up dinner."

"Okay!" And with that, Robin ran upstairs, giggling happily as he went to see his father and Mister Joker.