Chapter 52: Maple Syrup

Garfield woke up, hearing the soft breathing from Dick as he held him close. He sighed in agony, remembering that soon, it would be the Boy Wonder's birthday. The green boy had nothing to give, yet again. Other than love, there was nothing he could give. Being a poor boy made Garfield angry. Of course, he could always ask his father to get him something, but that would be rude. He pat the freckled face boy's cheek, smiling softly. Througout these few months, he had finally felt love. It was eventful sometimes, but Garfield enjoyed himself non-the-less. He was so thankfuk to have such an amazing friend like Dick in his life.

The green boy began to tear up as he looked down at Dick's chest, his tears hit it like bullets. He missed his parents dearly, more than anything. He wanted them to return, but unfortunately, they would never come back.

Suddenly, Dick woke up slowly and looked down at the green boy, his eyes widened. He sat up and held Garfield in his arms, letting him cry. He nuzzled the top of his head, sighing softly.
"It's okay, Garfield. Just cry on me," he cooed softly, his own black, beady eyes beginning to tear up. The sidekick hated to see his boyfriend cry. He had a strong feeling that it was, most likely, about something horrible. Perhaps, it must be his past or those mean brutes at school. He didn't know, until he would ask him.

"I want to go home," cried Garfield. "I miss mommy and daddy. Why can't they come back for me? Why did those strange men have to kill them?"

Dick kissed Garfield's forehead, tears streamed down his cheeks. He held him tightly, rubbing his sides gently.
"It's going to be okay, Garfield. I'm sorry that they are gone, but you're not alone. Me, Papa and Padre will help you! Don't-"

"N-no," the green boy said softly, fighting back tears. He sat up and gave a silent sniffle, looking down at the blanket. "I-I mean, you've done enough for me, Dick. I have nothing to give back to you to show how much I'm thankful for having you. I know your birthday is in two days. But, I have nothing to give you! When Christmastime came around, I was scared that you wouldn get angry at me for not having a gift for you."

Dick gasped dramatically, his black, beady eyes widened. He couldn't believe what his boyfriend was saying. If anything, he should be saying this. But, of course, he didn't.
"You don't need to give me gifts for my birthday, Garfield! If anything, I already have my gift."

"And what's that, Dick?" Garfield asked, more tears falling down his cheeks.

Dick giggled and put on his glasses. He cupped Garfield's cheeks and kissed him hard and long. The green boy's dark violet eyes widened as he whimpered. Eventually, he kissed him back, giving a low hum to his boyfriend. He wrapped his arms around the sidekick, melting more into the kiss. Dick hummed softly as he rubbed Garfield's sides, wanting more of the kiss. But, they released and breathed in gulps of air, starring at each other in the eye.

After a moment of breathing, Dick said, "you're my gift. I love you very much. Don't think you owe me anything, because you don't! Not at all."

"O-okay," Garfield replied, smiling up at Dick. Then, his stomach growled, making the two laugh. "Let's go and get breakfast!"

Dick nodded as he and Garfield got up from the bed, giggling at one another. They then began to head downstairs with fast speeds. He and Garfield went into the kitchen and was greeted by Alfred, who gave them two plates of flapjacks with syrup and juice. They thanked him and began to eat.

What a lovely way of waking up.