TO KILL A MOCKING GIRL

...

"WHOSE idea was this, again?" Haley grumbled as the group of five trekked through the woods, swatting branches and bugs out of their way.

Spencer sighed "Emily's mom."

"The shed was me." Emily defended "My mom just said we should do something for us."

Hanna swatted away a bug "Well, couldn't we do something without mosquitoes?"

"They're not mosquitoes, they're gnats." Aria corrected, glancing back at the blonde.

"Whatever!" Hanna groaned "They're small and annoying—"

"Are you gonna let her talk to you like that, Aria?" Haley scoffed playfully earning an eye roll from her sister and the Montgomery girl.

"—and they're flying up my nose."

Spencer glanced over her shoulder at the blonde "Well, they're attracted to your perfume. And your hair product. And your lip gloss."

Hanna scowled "So, what are you saying, I attract flies?"

"Gnats." Aria corrected once again.

Emily frowned "Why do I feel like this is the wrong way?"

"No, this is it." Spencer assured "I remember that tree. It's the halfway point. There's 136 steps left to the shed."

Haley looked to the Hastings girl curiously "Have you been back out here since Alison?"

"No." Spencer shook her head adamantly "No way."

Aria frowned "But you remember that tree."

Hanna sighed "You guys, it's not that weird. I mean, we came out here in eighth grade like, every day... even after."

"I think this is totally the wrong place to do this." Spencer admitted "Whatever you call it... shrine."

"It's not a shrine." Emily rolled her eyes "It's just a place to remember Alison. What's wrong with that?"

"Doing it way out here makes it look like we have something to hide." Spencer pointed out.

Emily shot her a look "You're worried what other people think?"

"Well, aren't you?" Spencer shrugged "Do you really want to give that creepy Detective more reasons to question us?"

"Definitely not." Haley muttered, swatting a gnat away.