TOUCHED BY AN "A"-NGEL

...

TRUDGING out of a sleepless night in bed, Haley made her way downstairs, yawning as her bare feet touched the hardwood floor.

"Morning, sweetie." Ashley greeted her daughter as she watched her come into the kitchen, frowning as she took note of the dark circles under her eyes "Where's Emily and your sister?"

Haley let out a tired sigh as she slipped onto a stool "Hanna went to send a care package to Caleb before school and Emily left super early for swim practice."

"I thought she wasn't allowed to swim yet until her appeal came back?" Ashley questioned, filling her thermos up with coffee.

"She's not." Haley snorted "She sits by the pool and hopes someone will push her in."

Ashley shook her head with a slight "Poor girl. How are you doing?"

"Fine." It was a lie and they both knew it, Ashley just didn't know why.

"Well, at least have some breakfast." Her mother murmured, pushing the box of cereal towards her.

Haley shook her head "I'm not hungry."

Ashley sighed "Haley—"

"What's this?" She cut her mother off, picking up a delicately designed pink envelope.

"A card from your father."

Haley's eyebrow's raised before she pulled out the card "Dear Haley and Hanna, I'm so proud to call you my daughters. To have you standing up there with me is the best wedding gift I could imagine and— Wait, what?" She looked to her mother wide eyed "Bridesmaids? He thinks we're gonna be bridesmaids?"

"Hanna didn't tell you?" Ashley frowned before sighing in realisation "Of course she didn't. Look, I'm not saying you have to, but it clearly means a big deal to him. I know you're thinking about me right now, and my feelings about all this and I love you for that. But this is a day of happiness for your dad. I want you to embrace that. The same way you would embrace it if I found someone."

Haley frowned "The difference is mom, you didn't find someone while you were already married."

"I know." She murmured, reaching over the counter to squeeze her daughters hand "But sweetheart, do this for yourself."

"I'll try." She sighed.

"Here." Ashley smiled, reaching into her purse before handing her daughter a gift certificate for a massage "I made you an appointment for after your fitting."