THE GOODBYE LOOK

...

GATHERED in the greenhouse, the girls were frozen in fear. As the wind beat branches off the lanes of glass and the breeze blew through the gaps of the doorway, all Haley could think was that this was bad. If Ian was still alive, that meant A wasn't the only thing to fear.

"Did things just get incredibly worse?" Aria asked the question on all of their minds.

"I can't believe this." Emily shook her head wildly "Ian's dead."

Hanna scoffed "No, zombies don't text. Okay, he is alive somewhere."

"Spence." Haley looked to the girl who stared down at the text.

"I have to get this phone home before Melissa realises that it's gone." She muttered.

Emily looked to her desperately "Okay, you put it back and then what do we do?"

"Do we call the cops?" Aria questioned, running a hand through her hair anxiously

"Oh, yeah, that always works out so well for us." Hanna snorted.

Haley sighed, her mind drifting to the one sleeping in her guest room "No cops."

"Why is Ian texting Melissa?" Aria looked to Spencer.

"And why is Melissa answering him?" Hanna added.

"Because she's pregnant with his child." Haley snapped before sighing at the surprised looks she was getting "I mean, that must mean something, right?"

Aria let out a sigh "Spencer, look, you gotta find out what Ian told Melissa. You're the only one who can find out what he wants."

"And where he is." Emily added.

"Let's get out of here." Spencer muttered, leading the girls out the door and down the lane.

Hanna sighed, pulling her coat tighter around her "Let's finish this is the morning. I'm cold, damp and scared. We can talk at school."

"We can't talk at school, remember?" Aria reminded the blonde "The five of us are supposed to be having separate time."

"Doctor's orders." Emily quipped bitterly.

Hanna sighed, looking to her sister "And cops."

Spencer frowned, looking between the twins "What are you talking about?"