THE DEVIL YOU KNOW

...

SITTING around their usual table in the school courtyard, the five friends were still in a state of disbelief. Ian was dead and now everyone knew he'd killed Alison. That the girls hasn't been lying. They took turns to look over the scribbled note pictured on Emily's tablet, each absorbing the startling information.

𝘐 𝘬𝘪𝘭𝘭𝘦𝘥 𝘈𝘭𝘪𝘴𝘰𝘯. 𝘐 𝘭𝘰𝘴𝘵 𝘮𝘺 𝘵𝘦𝘮𝘱𝘦𝘳 𝘣𝘦𝘤𝘢𝘶𝘴𝘦 𝘴𝘩𝘦 𝘬𝘯𝘦𝘸 𝘵𝘰𝘰 𝘮𝘶𝘤𝘩.
𝘉𝘶𝘵 𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦'𝘴 𝘰𝘯𝘭𝘺 𝘴𝘰 𝘮𝘶𝘤𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘤𝘢𝘯 𝘣𝘶𝘳𝘺. 𝘐𝘵 𝘸𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘢𝘵 𝘦𝘢𝘴𝘺
𝘣𝘶𝘵 p̶a̶i̶n̶ 𝘐 𝘬𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘩𝘰𝘸 𝘵𝘰 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘳𝘪𝘥 𝘰𝘧 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘱𝘢𝘪𝘯. 𝘐 𝘤𝘢𝘯'𝘵  h̶i̶d̶e̶
𝘳𝘶𝘯 𝘧𝘳𝘰𝘮 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘭𝘢𝘸. 𝘊𝘰𝘮𝘦 𝘢𝘯𝘥 𝘧𝘪𝘯𝘥 𝘮𝘦.
— 𝘐𝘢𝘯

"Is this a suicide note or a confession?" Aria questioned in a hushed tone.

Spencer shook her head "It's both."

Aria looked to the Field's girl "Em, how do you have this?"

"We sent it to her." Hanna gestured between her and Haley "I took a picture with my phone before we called the cops."

"It's weird." Emily frowned in confusion "Why would Ian kill himself just as he was about to skip town with Melissa?"

Spencer shrugged "Maybe he realised he was gonna get caught."

"He was going to be a dad." Haley spoke up, her fingers unconsciously tracing her stomach "I-I just don't think he'd voluntarily miss out on his kids life, you know?"

"Why not? Our's did." Hanna rebutted.

Spencer nodded "Even so, he couldn't hide forever, even with Melissa and Wren's help."

"He was probably desperate." Aria agreed.

Hanna rolled her eyes "Look, who cares why Ian did it? The important thing is Ali's killer is dead and we're no longer people of interest."

Spencer looked to Haley "And that means Wilden can finally leave you alone."

Haley held back a sigh. If only they knew...