Chapter 64: Battle of wills

"Oh for fucks sake what are you doing here?" Zak spits as soon as he sees me and I recoil at the hatred in his eyes. "And who's this silly old man?" He nods towards Father Gwynn. The priest doesn't even blink at the insults spewing from Zak's mouth.

"You must be Zak, I'm Father Gwynn, I'd like to have a chat with you if I may." He introduces himself and takes a seat in front of Zak.

"I don't want to talk to you!" Zak roars and goes to push away from the Father.

"Ah that's ok fella, I'll do all the talking." He replies kindly and places his palm on Zak's forehead before he has the chance to move away. Grasping his cross in the other hand he begins to chant.

"NOOOOOOO!" Zak thunders in a voice deep with menace and anguish. He struggles to get away from the Father's touch but he seems rooted to the spot.  The Father recites melodically not missing a beat as Zak protests and writhes in the seat in front him. Zak fights for a good half an hour before falling limp. The Father does not stop and Zak looks around the room until his eyes meet mine. A tear makes a track down his cheek.

"Please Tracy, sweetie, make him stop! It hurts sweetie, please!!" He pleads with me.

"You have to fight it Zak, its hold on you is too strong, he's helping you sweetheart

"You have to fight it Zak, its hold on you is too strong, he's helping you sweetheart. Don't fight him, fight the demon! Come on Zak you can do it!" I encourage him with a forced smile as I feel my heart breaking at his pain.

'You'll never win you heathen bitch!" He screams, the darkness taking over once more.

He bounces like this between pleading, fighting and venomous anger for a further hour. I barley breathe the whole time, each of us taking turns to provide comfort and strength for him. Finally he grows quiet, his focus on the priest in front of him, tears falling silently down his face but he remains calm, all the fight and anger having left him for now. Father Gwynn anoints his forehead as he had mine and although he shudders slightly he doesn't react violently like he had before. The priest continues to talk to him quietly in his ear and Zak nods and responds only loud enough for him to hear, I turn away from what I can tell is one of Zak's weakest moments, knowing that he will be embarrassed that anybody had witnessed it. Aaron gives my hand a squeeze, I hadn't even realised I had been gripping onto him tightly until then, I give him a small grateful smile. Zak and Father Gwynn continue to speak for a little while longer until both of their voices ring out clearly.

"Amen" Zak crosses himself across his body and the priest brings his own cross to his lips. He hands Zak a rosary, the sister to mine, the beads all black and the cross slightly larger. Zak grasps it gratefully and pats the Father's hand.

"Is that it? Is it over?" I ask huskily unable to keep the hope and pleading from my voice.

"Young Zak is back with us." Father Gwynn affirms. "Again his wall is fragile but it will hold for a while." He warns but I'm not listening. I throw myself across the room towards Zak and fling my arms around his neck.

"Are you really back? Is it really you?" I ask brushing a stray lock of his hair back into place.

"Hello sweetie." He says weakly and I break down with relief and happiness as he pulls me into his lap, I cling onto him afraid to let him go.

"Come on fellas, these two need some rest, don't worry they'll be ok."Father Gwynn assures Aaron, Billy and Jay and leads them from the room looking thoroughly exhausted as the door closes quietly behind them.

Just a disclaimer to say that I know very little about cleansings and exorcisms so i have used a lot of artistic license when tackling these subjects. 

Thank you all so much for the votes and the comments that often give me a good chuckle. I hope you're enjoying reading as much as i enjoy writing. Cheers *GM*