Chapter 84: Severed

A/N: This chapter is a little different and is written in the third person due to the nature of what is happening to Tracy.

The crimson blood is stark against the pale skin of Zak's throat as it beads at the point of the shining black knife. His adam's apple bobs as he swallows causing the knife to bite a little more deeply. Tears run from the corners of his eyes to the grass below but no sound escapes his lips. He dare not speak for fear of provoking Hatchi/Tracy into action. Looking up at Tracy fills him with panic and pain. The maniacal grin at odds with the tears streaming down her cheeks and the horror in her eyes. He glances over her shoulder to see Billy and Aaron frozen in fear not knowing what to do. Jay is knelt beside him just outside of the circle ready to try and intervene if needs be, it is taking all his will power not to pull Tracy off of Zak but he knows that the ritual must be completed. Amber continues to chant over the smoking bowl in her hands.

Aaron snaps out of his inaction and moves to be in Tracy's eye line.

"Stop there idiot!" She screeches, "Stop or I cut him!" Aaron stops and raises his hands in surrender.

"Come on now pompom, you can fight this, you're bad ass remember?" Aaron begins to speak softly trying to break past Hatchi's hold. "Tracy look through him, really look, see what he is making you do. He's making you hurt Zak, you're scaring all of us. Are you going to let him do that? He's going to make you take Zak away from us all. Don't let him destroy you like that. You vowed to protect Zak remember? Then do it protect him!" Tracy's eyes momentarily left Zak and looked at Aaron, he saw the terror and confusion in her face which made him realise he was being heard.

"Ha! She can hear you bitch but she can't control me! I will break her! Killing her pathetic love by her own hand! What greatest punishment is there? She will be tormented for the rest of her life, his blood on her hands, rotting in prison where she belongs." To prove the point Tracy increased the pressure on the blade causing Zak to cry out as the blood began a slow trickle down his neck. This was Hatchi's biggest mistake, Zak's cry of anguish and the flow of his blood triggered Tracy. She heard and saw his pain, she wouldn't let this happen. Aaron was watching her closely and saw the flicker in her dove grey eyes. A flicker of strength and determination.

"Yes Tracy! That's it, fight god damn it! You can do this, you're our bad ass witch! You stand up to Zak better than any of us, you can stand up to this weak son of a bitch!" He cheers Tracy on.

"Yes! Tracy! You got choked by a spirit and took it in your stride, you're strong, you got this!" Billy chimes in behind her.

"Yeah, come on Tracy, remember Freemantle, remember how you protected Zak then, you can do it again! Come on girl!" Jay goads her.

Realising their encouragement was giving her the strength she needed they all continue to urge her to fight. Seeing the determination in her eyes and feeling the fight stirring in her body Zak dared to move. He placed his hand on her denim clad thigh and stroked her gently, encouraging her to feel him beneath her, to feel his love for her.

"Come back to me Tracy. Fight for us, use those claws of yours bear cub, bare those teeth."He dared to whisper just loud enough for her to hear. "I love you,  you're mine not his. Remember you're mine. Fight!" It was the lastpush that Tracy needed, hearing Zak's voice, realising he needed her, she couldn't let him down.

An antagonised roar burst from Tracy's throat as she fought back against Hatchi's hold. She used the pain as he clawed at her from the inside against him, making him feel everything she felt. From the pain to the overwhelming love she had for Zak and his friends she made him feel it all.

"I call upon you Delphyne and I bring the light, you WILL NOT defeat me!" She shouts as she draws back the knife from Zak's throat. Her hands shake at the effort it is taking to not allow Hatchi to bring her hands down and force the blade into Zak's flesh. Zak reaches up and grabs Tracy's wrist helping her to keep the knife out of harm'sway. He can feel the struggle in her shaking hands and the tension in her legs is almost painful as she grasps his hips between her thighs but he holds her wrist tight her skin going white beneath his fingertips. He continues to murmur his love for her, urging her to stay strong.

"Hurry, please, I can't!" Tracy pants, beads of sweat appearing on her brow, her face screwed up in effort and anguish.

At that moment Amber finishes her incantation and steps towards the circle. Taking a handful of ash from the pewter bowl she sprinkles the concoction being sure to cover the knife and connecting ribbon as well as Zak and Tracy's hands. Taking her own pure silver blade Amber severs the ribbon that was binding them.

"Tracy, Zak you are free, Hatchi you are bound, you will harm no more!"

As the ribbon is cut Tracy's eyes roll and she falls limp across Zak's body, the knife falling harmlessly to the ground.

I really enjoyed writing this chapter, it was quite intense and a bit different. I hope the third person narrative reads ok, it just felt better to write that way seeing as Tracy wasn't really in control. I hope you enjoyed it as much as i had fun writing it. :)  *GM*