Chapter 68: Dessert

We're not asleep for long but wake refreshed from our nap. We take some lunch from the corner bakery and sit outside in the weak but warm autumnal sun.

'So how's the family tree stuff going?" Zak asks me after we have finished eating, what with his possession and the rush to edit we hadn't really had the chance to talk about it.

"I really feel like I'm on the cusp of something. The branches of our families seem to be getting closer together in terms of location and vocation. Did you know that Bagans means bow maker and is derived from an old English word that originated in Cornwall?" I ask him.

"No, really? That's fascinating." He enthuses, his love for history shining through.

"I know isn't it?" I'm equally as interested in all that I had found, long gone people being brought to life again through my research. "Apparently your ancestors were very fond of the Cornwall/Devon area as that is where they stayed for hundreds of years. My family seem to have originated in Devon very close to the Cornwall border, I guess it was only a matter of time that they came across each other." According to the documents I've found my family were hunters and occasional horse thieves, allegedly." I tap my nose and laugh. "I guess for both those occupations having a bow would come in handy."

"That's a bit of a tenuous link though Tracy." He raises his eyebrows and considers the info that I had given him.

"Yes, but the census that I have just started to study has both of our families residing in the same village in Devon, well a tiny hamlet really, right on the edge of Dartmoor called North Bovey. There's no way they wouldn't have at least known of each other and the village is still well known for its links to witchcraft to this day."

"Wow! That's amazing!" Zak exclaims in disbelief.

"I know right! Anyway, that's where I finished up yesterday, I'd really like to get back to it this afternoon, I've almost found the information we need I just know it!" I'm unable to contain my enthusiasm.

"Well what are we waiting for then?" Zak laughs. So after grabbing a couple of coffees to go we head home and each settle down at our laptops.

I trawl through the documents looking for any further mention of our family names and they do not disappoint. I work furiously to collate all the relevant details putting together the story of our distant past. Meanwhile Zak is pulling together all the information he can find on connected demons and the sources that his contacts in America have sent to him. We work uninterrupted for hours, engrossed in the history being told.

Eventually I develop a banging headache from squinting at the screen for so long. I sit back and roll my shoulders and rub my temples. I hadn't noticed Zak watching me until he spoke.

"Hey come on sweetie, that's enough for today." His own eyes are red rimmed from fatigue.

"But I'm an ant's breath away from discovering what we need I just know it!" I protest. " I just need and asprin, honest."

"Nah, cos then I'll have to keep working too and I'm shattered, so come on lets chill and pick it up again first thing tomorrow, one more night won't hurt." He really knows how to push my buttons knowing that I will always put his comfort first before all else.

"I guess." I sigh and with a few clicks I save my progress. "Hmmmm." I groan as Zak comes behind me and starts rubbing the knots out of my shoulders. "Ooooh that feels so good!" I lean my head back against his chest as he bends forward and kisses my forehead.

"Why don't you take a bath while I cook us some dinner." He suggests.

"Sounds heavenly."

"Wait here and I'll run the bath for you." He instructs me and makes towards the bedroom.