chapter 18: here and there

"a world where there is no humanity is a world where life is never going to be taken care of - sulaymaan."

Sulaaymaan was startled by what seemed to him like an unfamiliar voice .

"Sir ? Are you alright ?" Hamid was seated across him on a plush , Davood Bin Jabbar's exclusive couch collection . Sulaaymaan was never fascinated by such masterpieces but Queen Basmah sure was .

"Sir , they certainly were very taken aback . I handed in the seal and let them know that it really was for Miss Afra's safety ." Haamid tried his best at making every point clear .

Sulaaymaan only found himself nodding , his mind vaguely submerged into the depths of her eyes . For the umpteenth time today , he found himself not able to concentrate again . If somebody possessed eyes as bewitching as hers , they should cover them up as well .

"What did they say ?" He asked calmly , not able to concentrate on anything except the girl . The girl with the most dazzling eyes .

Haamid seemed to flicker his gaze back and forth nervously between Sulaaymaan and the ground . "Sir , they didn't protest as much as we had expected them to . Infact , she didn't even bother creating a scene like you had calculated and instead just agreed without a bother . I told her we'd be back within two days ." Haamid explained , and took in his he gulps of air .

Sulaaymaan shook his head and tried to regain his composure . "Anything else that you'd like to report ?"

Haamid frowned , his lips twitching up as his face pulled into a hard expression .

Sulaaymaan's intense stare surveyed his face for any signs of remembrance on what he may have missed .

"Oh yes !" He snapped his fingers , causing Sulaaymaan to almost jump in his seat . "Sir her father was currently away . That was one thing . And...?" Haamid hesitated , the look on his face melted away from concern to happiness ."And sir , I'm not sure if you know this , but Afra is the country's topper for the AESS exam !" Haamid seemed really happy about it .

Sulaaymaan blinked rapidly , his mouth agape . "She is the country's topper ?"

Haamid nodded vigorously , rather too snappily to shake up any normal person .

"Yes sir !" He exclaimed a little louder and Sulaaymaan's face glistened with delight .

Just as quickly , he could sense haamid's eyes widened with worry and his face devoid of the happiness that existed on his face a moment ago.

"But sir , I think she might have less chances of getting into the college of her interest ." Haamid argued , his voice laced with concern .

Sulaaymaan frowned ."Why is that ?"

Haamid cleared his throat , like he was unsure of how to proceed and explain it ."After the exam's results are out , you have only a month to apply . Else you won't be accepted ."

Sulaaymaan felt panic leaden in his stomach . He had to do something about it as soon as he possibly could .

"Don't worry Haamid . Her dream is very inspiring . She seems passionate about it and that's seen in her grades . I will do anything to keep her chances high at it . Anything !"

Derek had been stuck within the light colours of the sky , eerily blending significantly within the darker shades and curving delicately into their voids to form a breathless image of sunset

Derek had been stuck within the light colours of the sky , eerily blending significantly within the darker shades and curving delicately into their voids to form a breathless image of sunset .

Over the several years he spent , sunsets just never seemed the same . Every sunset , had a new story to narrate . Every colour marked the start of something new . Every sunset enables teaches you something different .

"Derek ?" An unfamiliar voice rang out. , startling him .

"Oh My God ! You scared me !" He cried , grasping at his racing heart .

Afra shot him a wry look , giving him a critical once - over . "You sure are jumpy !"

Derek sighed loudly , looking at her ."What are you here for ?"

Afra shook her head and basically threw the paper in his hand .

She flipped her scarf over her shoulder and confidently walked her way out .

He blinked at her gesture , a little confused at what was going on . It looked like a letter . He decided to see what was scribbled across the letter's top part .

Sarah .

He traced his fingers carefully over her scribbled name . It had been pretty long since he talked to her . And by talk , he meant say a decent hello .

Sarah always had been an introvert and that just in itself was the biggest challenge . It was difficult to strike a conversation with her even when he wished he could .

He gladly swung open the sheet folded into a half and hastily settled over the seat at a corner , crossing his legs .

Dear Derek ,

Before I start off with anything , I just want to confess that I would like to talk to you these letters , if that is okay with you . I have always been an introvert and opening up to people has been my weakness .

Until I get comfortable with you , would it be okay if we get along this way ?

I'll wait for your answer .

Now , how have you been ? It's been long since we last met . I hope you're doing well .

If you're okay with these letters , we'll continue on doing this .

Sarah .

Derek tried his best to hide the smile that grew evident on his face .