chapter 75: tick tock

"a colour can never brighten up your day if you can't understand it's beauty - faaris."

Afra fiddled with the toussles of her scarf, keeping a close watch on Sulaaymaan as he recited the Qur'an and she intently listened.

He didn't have the best method of reciting but it was unique. So soulful and deep was his pronounciation that certain verses made more sense than they had ever done before.

And after that he had sat down with her narrating some Hadeeth and Quranic stories.

After another few hours — as the Adhan for Asr boomed in the air — they got up, carefully rested their Qur'ans over the desk and sat down with their arms linked.

"Sulaaymaan, can I ask you something?"

He nodded gently before pulling her closer and resting his head over her chest. For a few seconds, she sat stiffly but as he began to snore a lightly, she chuckled and wrapped her arms around his head.

His skin of his cheeks was a little bumpy and Afra frowned at certain pimples that were peeking softly through his skin.

She gently swiped her fingers across them as he mumbled something incoherent and scooted closer.

She could feel her breath hitch with the proximity they shared. Somehow it wasn't as disturbing. It provoked so much warmth and protectiveness within her.

Her mother would often do that to her father whenever he would feel lost and defeated. At those times, he'd be so vulnerable and delicate that it didn't make much sense to her.

She had always considered males as a symbol of strength and power.

But she didn't ever think that they were humans too.