chapter 19: another world

"it's not the world that consumes my pain and hurt; it's the words that you say - faaris."

Faaris had never been dressy or elegant as such . His clothes normally included a pair of loose pants that stopped a little above his ankles , a sweatshirt or shirt that hung loosely over his shoulders and Nike shoes .

Today's occasion , however , called for a little difference . But he did not know what to do . After going through his closet , he pulled out a pair of ash coloured jeans and paired it with a grey shirt .

Gathering his car keys and wallet , he exited after greeting Mariam and tickling Mahreen .

Inaya never called him before . She just never did . He was a little worried thinking something bad must have happened now that she tried contacting him for real .

Whatever the reason , she was the one who suggested going for ice cream . Initially , she spoke in a dry tone , making it obvious that she was definitely being forced into the conversation . It came off as a surprise when her voice softened and she asked about going for ice cream .

Faaris had been waiting for this opportunity from the day he had married .

He smiled as he pulled closer to Afra's place and found Inaya standing by the doorstep , her head swaying in every direction to be on a lookout for him .

He pressed the honk of his car and her eyes snapped to him , as he waved a hand motioning her to join him .

She did not give any reaction and ducked her head when she saw two men walking towards the opposite direction .

She swung the car door open and adjusted into her seat , till she felt comfortable enough .

"Assalaamualaikum ." Her voice came out low , as her eyes rested over the car's dashboard .