Chapter 52- to the moon and back

I've had the past two weeks off school simply because I can't bring myself to face anyone still. I've probably made it worse for myself through as people will obviously ask why I've been off for so long. My dad said just say I've been on holiday but I doubt that'll work. It's half term already so I guess another week away from people won't hurt.

*1 message from Brad's mum*

'Hello sweetheart, hope you're well! Just wondering if you fancied going out for a coffee or something? I could do with getting out of the house for a bit and I'm sure you could too! X'

*1 message to Brad's mum*

'Morning, that sounds fab :) I'll see you in 10 x'

She came round to mine so I didn't have to see Brad and we walked into town. I felt a bit uneasy at first as I hadn't been out of the house in two weeks but then it became alright.

'So, I erm, I heard about your dad sweetie.. I'm so sorry to hear'

'Oh.. It's okay, he's been suffering for ages so I just want it to stop. He hates me worrying about him but I can't help it'

'Well that's natural sweetie. But he's right, if anything serious happened I'm sure they'd tell you straight away so don't stress too much over him'

'But I-' I got interrupted by my phone ringing. It was Brad.

'Oh don't mind me, aren't you going to answer that?' I showed her the caller ID and she soon understood why I didn't want to pick up. I turned my phone on silent.

'Jas, call me when you get this. It's important xx'

'Jas get home now'

'Babe where are you? Do you want me to pick you up from somewhere?'

'Please just call me when you see this'

An hour later and I saw all those messages and voicemails.

...

I arrived at the hospital frantically running around the wards trying to find my mum. I was on level 4 when I spotted my mum in hysterics down the end of the corridor. I ran to her, Brad right behind me.

'I'm so sorry Mrs Carter, I didn't know what to do. I saw the ambulance pull up outside yours to take Mr Carter away and I panicked so I called Jas I-'

'Mum? What's happened? Is he ok? Why did the ambulance come?'

'Sorry but only two people are allowed to visit a patient at a time' the nurse interrupted us.

I looked to Brad as he held my hand and mouthed 'it'll be ok, I love you' as I walked into the room with my mum. I froze for a minute seeing my dad in that hospital bed with all these wires everywhere. My dad looked so weak lying there, I choked.

'Mum, what's happening?' I said softly as I hid behind her.

'Jasmine?' I heard a croaky voice coming from my dad's direction.

'Yes dad?' I sat on his bed next to him as he reached out to hold my hand.

'I really didn't want you seeing me like this' he struggled to get his words out.

'What's going on? What's happening?' I whispered.

'I might be going away for a while, that's all'

'Dad, please. I'm not a child anymore' I could feel my hands getting sweaty as I got more nervous.

'Just remember that I love you to the moon and back. Keep Brad by your side, that boy is the best thing in your life so don't let him go'

'Come on sweetheart' I felt my mums hand on my shoulder telling me it was time we left.