Stage Dorks- Reverse Crush

"Are you ever gonna stop staring at him?"

Christine snapped out of her trance, glaring at Jake. "I will. One day. Maybe."

Jake chuckled, taking another bite of his sandwich. "I mean, I think you're pretty cool. Just like... talk to him. It can't be that hard, right?"

"Wrong. You're just pretty, and don't know what hardships are." Christine said, her eyes following Jeremy as he made his way over to the chalkboard. "Jake! Jake! Look, look."

"He's... signing up for swim?" Jake asked, squinting in Jeremy's direction.

"No!" Christine hissed. "Theatre! The play! And I mean, I know I'll get in, so like! We could be partners! Oh my god, what if I convince Mr.Reyes to do Romeo and Juliet? We could kiss!" Christine said, blushing and smiling profusely.

"Didn't you Guys already do that one last year? Weren't you the girl that died?"

Christine sighed. "Juliet?"

"Yeah! That was sad."

"Hey Christine." She let out a squeak as her crush tapped her on the shoulder. "I saw you're trying out for the musical. I hope you can get in!"

"Th-, uh, thanks, I uh, break your legs!" Christine yelled, trying to contain her excitement. Jeremy just gave her a small laugh and headed back to his table.

Christine banged her head against the table. "I'm going to Kermit sewer slide."

"I'm... confused?" Jake asked, looking at his best friend worriedly.

She sighed. "You're so lucky you're pretty."

———

"Well, since there were only two people who signed up for lead roles, you two will be playing the roles of Rose for Christine, and Eddie for Jeremy. Got it?"

"Uh, sir? What musical are we doing? It didn't say on the call board..."

"Oh, right! Its called Dogfight. You have two weeks to learn your lines. Good luck!"

Christine took her bag, hoping to get in and out as fast as possible. She didn't want to have another awkward encounter with the boy of her dreams. Her spirt was already broken enough.

"Christine!"

She yelped, turning back to the boy. "Hey, Jeremy. Jeremiah, Jere-bear. What's shaken, bacon?" She asked, giving him ginger guns.

This is why I hate myself. This is why I hate myself. She chanted over and over in her head as she tried to find an exit.

Jeremy laughed. "I was uh, wondering if you'd want to like, I don't know, go practice or something sometime? Just the you and me? Our characters are like, this weird awkward thing and I really think we should get on, uh, like, better terms? To like, work it out?"

"Yeah! Yes. No totally, we should." Stop talking.

"Great! Can you come over to my house tomorrow after school? I'll wait for you by the front poles. But uh, can I have your number? Incase something happens."

"Yeah, I can, I can do that." Christine said, bouncing on her heels. She grabbed a pen and wrote her phone number on Jeremy's arm, smiling wide. "See you tomorrow!"

She rushed out of the theatre room, almost running straight into Jake. "Woah, hey, slow down partner."

"Sorry. Jeremy's hot. Oh! And I'm going to his house tomorrow to practice lines! Our characters kiss! Why is he so attractive?"

"Who?" Jake asked, messing around with Christine.

"Jeremy Heere is so freaking attractive!" She yelled excitedly. Jake laughed as he pulled her towards his car, letting her get in.

As soon as she sat down, her phone buzzed.

Unknown (possibly Jeremy?): hey, it's Jeremy
Unknown (possibly Jeremy?): don't worry, I think you're 'freaking attractive' too
Unknown (possibly Jeremy?): I know we already said my house, but would you rather go like, get bubble tea or something?
Unknown (possibly Jeremy?): As a date
Unknown (possibly Jeremy?): if you're down

Christine quickly replied Yes! Before shutting off her phone. This day just got better.