Chapter 54

THOMAS POV:

I adjust the stuff I was holding. "You look like crap man" said Chuck. He started leaving and signaled me to follow him. "Come on" said Chuck. I followed him. Chuck started setting up the hammock. I just stood against the pole like before. I watched Maze run around the glade. He ran up to us and stood next me. "It's basically the safest place for all of us" said Chuck. "We wake up in the box, Alby gives us the tour and here we are" said Chuck. Chuck finished and looked at the hammock. "Don't worry, you're already doing better than I did. I clunked my pants three times before they got me out of the pit" said Chuck. He turned to look at me. I said nothing and looked at the maze. "You okay" asked Chuck. "I wanna be a runner" I said. "Good luck with that. It's one of the most dangerous jobs" said Chuck standing next to me. "How" I asked looking at him. Being a runner didn't seem that dangerous from what I remember. "They have to make it back before the doors close or they are dead" said Chuck.

"True but being a runner is still awesome. Mainly cause I like to run and don't have to worry about that" said Maze. I looked at him confused. How does he know what it's like to be a runner? "I'll explain more later" said Maze. "Come on, let's get some dinner" said Chuck. We left and went to the kitchen. We got some dinner and then the party to welcome the greenie started. I sat down away from everyone else with Maze after the commotion died down. "I noticed you seemed happy to meet Alby" I said. "Ya, I never met him before. He was stung before I was born" said Maze. "What" I asked. "I was born into the maze. I didn't come up in a box. Anyway one day before I was born Alby was stung and then banished" said Maze. We were silent for a moment. Alby get's stung? "What happened to him" I asked. Maze signed. "Well the doors opened like they do every morning and there was a griever. The griever lost control and didn't go back with the others. When the runners saw it everyone was ordered to hide and the griever grabbed Chuck" said Maze sadly.

I said nothing. Maze signed. "Anyway most of the gladers were hiding in the court building and the runners and Alby fought the griever. They saved Chuck but Alby was stung. The griever gained control and ran away. They put Alby in the pit and Newt decided it was best to banish him since they don't have the cure" said Maze sadly. I looked back at Alby sadly. He was laughing at something another glader said. "How long does he have" I asked. "I don't know but don't worry it will be a while before that happens" said Maze. I turned and looked back at the maze doors. Newt ran up and sat next to me. "How's your first day greenie" he asked. "Could be better" I said. Newt smiled and handed me his drink. "Here, put some hair on your chest" said Newt. I took the bottle and took a sip as Newt looked at the maze. I wonder if it taste diff.......nope still disgusting. I spit it out and Newt looked at me. Him and Maze laughed a little. "Oh my god what is that" I asked. Newt finished laughing and took his drink back. I coughed as he held it. "I don't even know, Gally's recipe" said Newt.