Mistake

Ch.14

"Well?" Namjoon waited for Taehyung's response.

Biting your lip, you worried for Taehyung. He sat there without saying a single word. Something flashed through his eyes. He was in deep thought. It was hard to tell if he was wondering on what to do or thinking about all his choices that led up to this moment. Namjoon was trying to keep his patience as he stared at the purple haired boy. You weren't ready for the mood to drop so seriously after Hoon-ssi left. Others in the room were growing uncomfortable. This didn't feel like a conversation to have others listening to. Since Namjoon is going to be the leader of the boys and has more responsibilities than them. Maybe they should have spoken about this alone. Taehyung getting scolded in front of all his peers made you want to look away.

No one told Namjoon to sound gentler or that this should be private. To him, this confrontation must be for the whole team. Their team needs to be aware of the flaws they have. Not that Taehyung is a problem to his team. His situation is only inconvenient, but he can figure it out. You know he can, but you just don't know how. That might not be enough for Namjoon though. No one came over to Taehyung. No petting his back and calmly asking him to answer the tall male. So you felt like you should do it yourself. Before you could take a step forward, Taehyung lifted his head high. He faced all his peers with a sad expression. Like he disappointed them and was ready for the consequences. Still, he had a courageous air around him that was hard to ignore.

"I'm sorry," Taehyung started. Namjoon sighed as he uncrossed is arms.

"I would like the complete truth." Namjoon kept a firm tone. "Tell me why you didn't tell me this from the beginning. This is important information that I should have known from the start. Before you joined the company. I even asked you and you lied."

"I know! And I'm sorry...but—" Taehyung tried his best not to shrink under the microscope he felt himself under. All eyes were on him. Inspecting him intensely.

"If I had known that, we could have worked on fixing this problem. I wouldn't have brought you along on the mission. Do you know how dangerous it is to not only bring trainees to a battle but unqualified ones at that?" Namjoon took steps towards Taehyung who flinched every time his heavy boots hit the ground. "You're basically a normal civilian for as long as you have this weakness."

"...I really want to be a hero." Taehyung did his best to not look down. He needed to face Namjoon like this to prove something to himself. Yoongi scoffed in the background, making you quickly glare at him. At a serious moment like this and he finds what Taehyung said as a joke? Isn't that the reason why everybody is here? You didn't want to fight with him again, but he should know better.

"Everyone wants to be a hero. Whether the reasons are pure or not, that does not make you a hero in the end." Namjoon narrowed his eyes. "I need you to understand that first. I'm not telling you this to be mean. This is important for you to know. I am your leader when I'm saying this to you. Not your friend. Not a higher up at this company. I am your teammate."

Taehyung's lips parted as Namjoon finished saying that. He crouched down to be at the same eye level as the younger boy. That let him know that it was going to be okay. They were on the same playing field. It let you breathe the minute Namjoon lowered himself down from his towering height to join Taehyung down on the ground. It let you trust him and his intentions. His tone of voice and words sounded rough, but his actions made it clear. Jimin had been scolded in front of the others too. He slowly inched to Taehyung who was nodding silently. It looked like he was tempted to cry as he licked his lips to speak. Namjoon indirectly told him that he wasn't going anywhere by admitting the truth. Everyone is going to help him in figuring this out somehow. The other trainees shared the same look of sympathy as you while a certain someone didn't.