Robot or Baby

Ch. 53.5

I stayed still on my bed as I took everything in. I can't believe I was going to...I was...mad? Hell, like I know anymore. Tears continued to stream down my face after my parents left. Crying was for when you're sad. Or happy or angry. I pounded my fist on the bed, wanting to scream. Angry. Then I felt the light pulse at the back of my head. At that second, I stopped everything I had felt. Like shutting off water. There was no time to show emotions when all they did was cause me pain. Walking into my bathroom, I cleaned myself up and returned to my textbooks. Studying is the only thing I can do right, I guess. I don't know. For someone so smart, I was very confused all the time.

Time passed and I was three months into first year. A sophomore in high school. It felt wrong. Though my parents had my life planned out for me, I still considered myself lost. In the middle of class, I was called into the director's room. People ignored me as I got up from my seat. The robot called to meet the headmaster. I made my way to his room, entering when he said I could. I sat down in the seat across from him keeping what my parents called professionalism. He smiled at me as he held a file in his hands. He appeared more excited than I was. Then again, when did I ever make my face do such things?

"Namjoon, I'm proud to tell you that you did very well on the national exam." He handed me the envelope. I opened it, reading what was inside. No.

"You're in the top one percent of the entire nation!" The headmaster was delighted.

I felt...nothing. Was I supposed to be happy? When did I obey my parents so easily? He continued to grin in his seat. Probably enjoying the attention the school would be receiving.

"Headmaster...I'm only sixteen," I started. I couldn't take the idea of this going on any longer. My emotions were acting out again as my face remained stoic.

"Well, yes! That's what makes this so astounding! You're so young." He chuckled.

"I want to drop out of high school," I stated flatly. I said it. There's no point of me staying in high school if I was a genius. The director's eyes widened. He almost stood up from the shock.

"N-Namjoon! What are you saying!? You can't do tha—!"

"I only need a middle school education. That's okay with me." I crossed one leg over the other. He believed I was crazy. Maybe I was. Leaning over my legs, I kept my voice low. "I believe this is the best route for me, Director. My parents have my future set up. The goal has been met and you know colleges will take me the second they hear I was top one percent. The lack of a high school diploma won't cross their minds."

"T-That may be true, but—"

"This is how I see my future, Director. I'm leaving school from now on." I stood up from my chair and walked closer to his head. His brain was addled while mine was in the lead. Thinking millions of steps ahead. I continued to use my logical thinking to reason with him. The director found himself unexpectedly agreeing with me. I could have laughed. He was simple to manipulate. Fancy words had him staring in awe. Does he not think much? I left the school feeling powerful and I pitied everyone. It was so easy for me to drop high school without my parents getting involved. All I did was talk. The poor director—no. Stop.

I don't know what had gotten over me. Why was I believing he was lower than me for being average? Isn't that what I used to crave? I felt disgusted with myself. That was a mindset I never wanted to return to.

I'm a high school dropout who used to be in the top one percent in the entire country. And I gave it up. Wait until my parents get the call. I could feel the bruises forming on me happening already. The light pressing squeezing my head and my skin feeling prickly. I hated how prone I was to stress. To avoid this level of stress, I knew I would have to avoid my parents at all cost. I no longer had a family. So that made me homeless too. Roaming around the town, I entered a café with no money. It's not like I can return with my parents or stay with a friend. There's none of that for me anymore.