Piggy

Ch.58

Seokjin's P.O.V.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

My power is not evil. No, that's poorly phrased. It should not be used for evil. There was no evil bone in my entire body. The idea of abusing the gift I had been born with was sickening. Yoongi has two powers that are seen as dark. When he uses them, he knows they come off as twisted. He's my best friend now and I've learned how hard he works to ignore the negative crap he hears about them all the time. It made me wish I could be like him. For some reason, ignoring what others had to say about me was incredibly hard. I listened to them and let their words take over my thoughts, my actions. Everything. Still, Yoongi isn't evil and I'm not evil. (F/n)'s powers aren't inherently evil either.

I knew my answer already. Making eye contact with Kyungwoo, I swallowed hard. Don't look at Bimil. Even though he was stepping closer to me in a threatening way, I told myself not to forget who I am. The only reason I've gotten to where I am is through hard work. It is because of my hard work towards being a hero that I am here today. Not my looks. If anything, my looks have never given me anything good in my entire life. I joke around and enjoy it at times, but my skill is what matters. I'm a hero inside and out. No company and certainly not the media is going to tell me otherwise. Visual hero is just an insult.

Opening my mouth to decline their offer, Kyungwoo and Bimil only took steps closer. Maybe they could read my face. I tend to be an open book. It's almost impossible for me to hide my expressions. Tensing up, I felt sweat forming on my forehead. Kyungwoo had a 'friendly' smile on his face as he told me to really think about my answer. His hooded friend stayed quiet as he continued to remind me on how society thought I was useless anyway. Nothing but good looks. I only have one power. It's not even great. Tightening my fists, I had to ignore what Kyungwoo was saying. I'm not a villain.

*~*

I want to be just like them. Exactly like them. Staring happily at the TV screen, I held the action figures in my hands tightly. They were so cool! Mom was humming in the background, cleaning and cooking while Dad was at work. He wasn't a huge fan of heroes. He thought they were 'corrupting' our society. I don't really get that word, but that's what he said. Mom always glares at him. She thinks they're good role models for me. Especially since she has a power herself. It's not a strong one, but it's there. She's able to make bubbles! She looks like she's whistling or blowing bubble gum. It's really fun. They usually come out small, but Mom says if she makes them big than they can become stronger.

Other than that, she doesn't really talk about it much. Dad likes to pretend she doesn't have them because she's required by law now to use them. Mom likes to inform me on these kinds of things. Dad believes I shouldn't be hearing about this stuff since I'm so young. I don't really get that. I'm ten. I think I know what I need to know. I'm in fifth grade and before I know it, I'm going to be eleven. After that is when I'm going to go into sixth grade. Bouncing around in my seat, I couldn't wait. The heroes on screen continued to dazzle my eyes. I wanted to be just like them. Mom says that my powers should start coming around sixth grade and I'm ready for them.

A new law has been put in place recently that will go into effect next year. Every month, students will be checked for powers by hero doctors. They're going to see what we're capable of and other stuff. Mom started using fancy words, so I zoned out. I'm sure it'll be okay though. Everything will be fine when the time comes. Glancing down at my action figures, the smile on my face grew. Definitely. I'm going to be just like them.

"I'm going to be a hero, Eomma." I turned around to see her kneading bread. She lifted her head up to smile at me.

"You sure are, Baby." She continued to work with the dough. Setting down my toys, I walked over to her. Though I did love heroes and looked up to them, I felt the same about my mom. She was my hero too. Peeking over the counter, I watched her work her magic. Mom could do anything! "You want to help me make bread?"