Prince

Ch.58.5

Going home was the worst feeling in the world. I felt dead as I moved around the house. Food didn't taste as good. My things were already in the new place. The house was practically empty and it killed me further. Leaving your childhood home is painful. Mom and Dad noticed my quietness on the car ride over. They tried to excite me by telling me how big my new room was going to be. They talked about how great the middle school was. I'll make new friends and become a hero. I didn't want to hear it. I cried myself to sleep the first night at the new house.

Summer is supposed to be a kid's dream. It was complete torture for me. Loneliness consumed me. Mom tried encouraging me to go outside. Play with kids at the park and things like that. No. Instead, I sat in the backyard and practiced my power. How could I do it without another person? I felt like my power was stupid. It was useless. But I still practiced with squirrels in the backyard. It apparently worked with animals as well. So that's what I did. I had to find a dream inside the animal that would keep them in a deep sleep. Then keeping multiple squirrels under the same state was hard. I could only do it for five seconds.

Five seconds? What am I supposed to do with that? It wasn't much, but I continued with it. I started going to different animals. Birds, cats, dogs. Anything. Stray animals were usually walking around the neighborhood. I had to be careful though. It's not like anyone would cuss me out for being a superhuman, but a law was passed. Super humans can't use their powers unless they're under a company. A hero company to be exact. It really feels like they're trying to restrict us, but those for it say it's for organization and to have a system. I guess I sort of get that.

When it came time to start middle school, I promised myself to focus on my power. Stick to the goal of becoming a hero. I can't do that if I go off trying to make new friends. Besides, the idea of making a new friend felt like I was betraying Yunho. I would never want to do that to him. Mom and Dad were worried for me. They never heard me talk about friends. I would always stay at home whenever I could. Seventh grade painfully past, then eighth grade, and ninth grade was coming to an end. I was close to finishing middle school and I truly felt like a human body moving with no real place to go. There was no personality to me. Nothing. But my powers had improved. I've brought up my seconds to twenty-five now.

"Seokjin...sweetie, can we talk to you?" Mom called out to me.

"Yeah." I stood in front of them. I fidgeted around, not liking the strange attention on me.

"We're sorry," Dad started and my heart almost stopped. Dad bowed to me as well as Mom. Emotion struck me to see my parents doing such things. They looked like they were filled with regret. The icy exterior that I had grown melted as I worried for them. Why were they bowing to me like that?

"Appa, Eomma...stop that." I felt guilty.

"No, Seokjin. I want you to know that we are so sorry..." Dad sighed heavily. "You don't smile anymore. We took away so much from you and we didn't address it until now. We failed as parents."

"Don't say that." I didn't want to hear them talk badly about themselves.

"You're not yourself anymore, Seokjin." Mom was tearing up. "You used to talk all the time. Make jokes, eat until you got a stomach ache, and now...you don't enjoy life like you used to. You only eat to survive...I...I'm sorry."

"..." I didn't respond. How could I? My silence confirmed their thoughts. They knew I was having a tough time. All these years of pain and I didn't say anything. We didn't talk. We didn't communicate like a family and now look at us.