Mediocre is Great

Ch.19.5

"Hello?" He raised a brow at me.

This was a bad idea. Oh my God, I'm crazy. Why did I do this? The more I stared at him, the more I realized how we looked nothing alike! Was it my desperation in me that made me believe this man could have actually been my father? I didn't want to be negative though. My thoughts always brought me down like this. I had to focus and talk to him now. My mind had gone blank the second we made eye contact though. As my throat grew increasingly dry, my lips parted as gentle gibberish slipped out my mouth. Since I was just a kid who looked so scared, he was a lot more patient with me. First he poked his head out and looked around to see if anyone was with me. He soon stared at me and crouched down to my eye level.

"A-Are you Hong Youngsik?" I blurted out as his eyes widened slightly. My heart was shaking, delicate with every pump of blood that went through it.

"Yes." He nodded as he stepped out and closed the door behind him. "Are you here all alone?"

"...I am." I tried to block my luggage behind me.

"Do you know your parents phone number?" Youngsik pulled out his phone.

"Don't call anyone! Please!!" I jumped. Youngsik lowered his hands with his fingers still hovering over the screen, bewildered at my reaction. "...do you know the Park family? Like the heroes?"

"Uh...yes. A little bit." Youngsik stood up straight as I began to smile. "I'm familiar with them, but I've never met them if that's what you're asking."

"What?" I felt my heart shatter. I stumbled back in shock, tripping completely over my luggage. Everything inside me went off balance as I landed roughly onto the cement. Youngsik furrowed his brows in worry as I winced about my spine aching. The luggage was on its side now and Youngsik didn't know what to make sense of anymore. A random child on his door step with luggage and asking questions about a hero family. This must be too much for him too.

"Are you okay?" Youngsik stepped down, bringing his phone back up. This man was a stranger. He's not my father at all. This was a possibility from the start, but I never wanted it to become true. I shook my head at him as I crawled back. That was enough to convince him into calling the police. "Hello? I think I found a lost child with a suitcase and—hey! Where are you going!?"

There was no time to wait and see what happens. Immediately, I grabbed my things and started running. Bolting out of that neighborhood as fast as I could before he could catch me. Youngsik called after me but it didn't me long to disappear. My feet carried me somewhere and I did my best not to panic all over again. I'm lost in a town I know nothing about. Why am I like this? I'm usually not so reckless. I wanted to cry as I kicked over my luggage. The only money I carried on me could pay for two very cheap meals at best. After that, I would be starving and homeless on the streets. Unless I went back to Mom and Grandpa.

Just the idea of going back made my chest burn. Going back to the house would admit defeat. It'd be worse than passing out because of hunger. Being a homeless kid is no way to live, but neither is forcing a dream to come true for others. That's not how I want to live. For the whole day, I went around the town dragging my luggage behind me. I didn't speak to anyone even when they whispered about me. A child walking around aimlessly with a suit case. Eventually when I was getting used to the stares, I recognized the street I was on. Very faintly, I remembered the path the bus driver drove me. I walked in a huge circle to return to the path to Youngsik's house. This time I went back to the bus stop. I remember seeing vending machines there and I could always beg for money. Once I get less scared of speaking to strangers.