Yellow Maiden

-----

Post timeskip, takes place after chapter sixteen and takes place before chapter seventeen. Takes place after the "Reasons..." part, "A Promised Trip" part, "Peculiar" part, "The Dagger" part, "Tension" part, "Raid" part, "Tea Party" part & "The Ashen Demon" part. Takes place on the 25th of Great Tree Moon.

-----

Dimitri was in the Cathedral in front of the broken pieces...again.

It wasn't anything new at all to... well anyone.

Still, Byleth did go to the Cathedral and tried to talk to him that day.

"Dimitri?"

He flinched slightly when he realised she was there. He turned around to face her. "Yes?"

"...Are you doing ok?"

Dimitri crossed his arms. "I've been more or less dead."

Byleth frowned at that response.

Dimitri uncrossed his arms and spoke again. "What did you want anyways?"

"..I came to check on you again. You seem a bit-"

Dimitri interrupted her again. "Checking on me is a waste of time. There is nothing left within me for you to care about."

Byleth shook her head. "That isn't true, stop saying that."

"Yes it is! You're just wasting your time with me!" Dimitri groaned.

"Can you like, for once, stop repeating those-"

"Just leave me alone please." Dimitri sighed and looked away from her.

Byleth gave him a disappointed look and did as he said. This conversation was going nowhere just like most of the other times. It would be basically Deja Vu at this point...

Part of her wishes she didn't leave him there.

But she shrugged those wishes off and she still left the Cathedral.

However when she was at the entrance of the Cathedral, there was suddenly a voice speaking from behind her. "Hello!"

Byleth was slightly startled but got over it. She turned around to see that there was a child behind her.

..It was the same child that she, Rodrigue and Dimitri met at the great bridge of Myriddin..again.

Byleth realised that the child was somehow behind her as she was leaving the Cathedral which would mean that the child was in the Cathedral too.

Byleth frowned. "Hello...Er..Sorry but did you hear that conversation between me and Dimitri?"

The child's smile fell. She looked a bit guilty. "Uh..sorry yes."

Byleth sighed. "Maybe you shouldn't have seen that..."

"I'm sorry...but can I ask you something?"

Byleth tilted her head a bit. "Um sure?"

"Well...I.. I was wondering why you are fighting in this army?"

Byleth blinked. "Huh?"

Byleth bit her lip. She wasn't sure what question she was expecting to hear but that certainly wasn't one she'd think would be asked.

The child spoke again to clarify what she meant again. "Ok..well. I mean...Why do you choose to fight here? You don't seem to care much about the Church or anything like that?"

Byleth frowned again. "Well...That's um...because that's what I believe in - fighting alongside those who matter to me and doing what I believe is the right thing. That's what I want to do. I want to fight with this army and-"

The child cut her off before she could even talk about Rhea and her various other reasons. "But what if you die?"

"Then I die. I died and lived for what I believed in. And I'm ok with that." Byleth nodded.

The child sighed. "Well...I wish you luck then in your future path I guess..."

Byleth tilted her head in confusion. "Thank you...?"

The child walked away with a disappointed frown on her face.

Byleth kind of noticed it. She thought to herself a bit. "Did she expect a different answer or something? And why did I tell her so much..?"

She sighed. There wasn't really much she could do about it anymore...

-----