Forgiveness and Truth

-----

Post timeskip, takes place after chapter seventeen and takes place before chapter eighteen. Takes place on the third of Harpstring Moon. References "The Argument In The Lions' Den" part and "In The Dark" part.

-----

After waking up very early and unable to go back to sleep, Byleth went up to the goddess tower to kill some time.

When she was there, she gazed at the bright blue sky and the sun shining on her face.

It was... a nice feeling.

But it didn't last long because her own thoughts consumed her.

She couldn't stop thinking about the future and the past at the same time.

About who she's killed and what she's done in battle.

And who she may have to face next...

She threw out a long sigh.

"My friend.. What are you doing here at this time in the morning?"

Byleth turned around when she heard that sincere and deep voice.

It was Dimitri.

"Could be asking you the same thing." Byleth responded.

Dimitri chuckled a bit under his breath. "I woke up early by accident and was simply curious as to what the goddess tower would be like in the early morning."

Dimitri shook his head. "Professor, may I join you or would you rather be on your own?"

Byleth blinked at him a bit before she answered. "Feel free to join me Dimitri."

"Thank you." Dimitri gave her a smile as he nodded.

He walked next to where she was standing and gazed upwards at the sky just like she had returned to doing.

...

It was silent for a bit.

Byleth broke the silence by starting a conversation. "How has it been with the others?"

Dimitri opened his mouth but nothing came out. He didn't know how to word his answer.

He eventually found words to say. "Many of them are still rightfully upset with me. The only ones who seem to have forgiven me are Petra, Hilda, Marianne, Mercedes, Catherine, Ashe and Caspar."

Dimitri's head tilted down. "I... I honestly do not blame them for not forgiving me, what I have done is inexcusable. I wouldn't have forgiven myself either. My behaviour towards them all...was absolutely revolting and unforgivable."

Byleth stayed silent, not really sure what she should say.

"But Professor... My behaviour towards you... was perhaps the worst of all. I am absolutely disgusted with myself with how I treated you, talked to you... I.. I have to say, that is one of the things I regret the most, if not the most regretful thing I have ever done. Treating you like that, talking to you like that, what I said to you... It was monstrous of me...I am sorry."

Byleth stared at him and didn't really know how to respond to that. "Dimitri..."

Dimitri sighed. "I.. I apologise for this but I must tell you about something that happened when you were not around."

"When I wasn't around?" Byleth asked.

"I had an argument with many of our classmates back in Lone Moon. I said things... That I shouldn't have said nor did I mean. Said terrible things to them about everyone. I said that I..."