Sword and Shield of Seiros (Paralogue)

-----

Pre timeskip, takes place after chapter six and takes place before chapter seven. Takes place after "Joke telling" part, "The Jealous Prince" part, "Sitri & Flowers" part, "The Forgotten" part & "Rumoured Nuptials" part. Takes place before "The Grand Feast" Part. Takes place on the 23rd of that Wyvern Moon. Based on (and a retell of) Alois and Shamir's paralogue and is meant to foreshadow events that take place many years later in this book. (One of the most important parts in this book due to the foreshadowing and hints in this)

-----

In the entrance hall, Byleth was just on her way to class while Shamir and Alois were having a conversation.

She heard a little bit on what they were saying.

Shamir spoke. "...And that is our situation."

Alois frowned. "But with so few knights, we'll surely-"

Just as Byleth walked pass them, Alois spotted her and seemed to have an idea. "Ah Professor! Excellent timing."

Byleth stopped where she was to listen to him. "What's going on?"

Shamir gave Alois a look. "Alois. You're not going to suggest we send students, are you?"

Alois did a small chuckle and then grinned at Shamir. "I am, actually. Do you have a problem with that?"

Shamir frowned and bit her lip. "I do. We can't send them out on a knight's mission without Rhea's blessing."

"I'm sure I can get the go-ahead. I'll just say the students have a...new field opportunity, or something like that. Besides, we'll be there. We're not going to let them get killed by pirates."

Byleth literally had no context and had no idea on what they were talking about so she didn't hesitate to ask. "What's this about pirates?"

Shamir looked at Byleth. "There are pirates causing havoc in the port of Derdriu, at the center of House Riegan's territory."

Alois joined in the explanation. "The Merchants' Association sent a request via the Eastern Church, asking for protection."

Byleth didn't quite understand what they meant. She didn't even know anything about this 'eastern church' they meant. "The Eastern Church?"

Shamir wasn't sure if she was surprised to hear that or not surprised at all. "You haven't heard of the Eastern Church? I suppose that's because they don't have much of a presence." 

Alois clarified on about the Eastern Church for Byleth. "The Eastern Church controls eastern Fodlan. They don't have a standing army like we do. So, for incidents like this, they customarily ask for help from the Central Church."

Shamir looked emotionless as always when she spoke. "I imagine they want to contribute to make their presence known in the Alliance." 

"Be that as it may, we knights are quite busy. We don't have personnel to spare. Therefore, we're enlisting your help!"

Shamir grinned when she realised that she may see Byleth in action again just like that other time when helping her, Dorothea and Ingrid with that mission one time. "You should have some experience dealing with pirates from your mercenary days, right?"

Byleth nodded. "I do."

Shamir looked back at Alois. "The students have dealt with pirates, so this shouldn't be a problem for them."

Alois spoke. "Come with us, won't you? Think of it as a training exercise. The Merchants' Association will reward us handsomely!"

While Alois worded that in a very... Alois way, Byleth nodded regardless. "Let's go."