Funeral

Mr. Schue led Jesse St. James into the choir room, giving the original 12 New Directions flashbacks to the year prior when he transferred to McKinley High for Rachel Berry, "New Directions, I would like to introduce you to our new show choir consultant Jesse St. James."

"I don't trust this guy. He's gonna trick us into doing something stupid so his Alma Mater wins," Finn snarls, scowling at the college drop-out.

"I don't need to do much tricking to get you to do something stupid, Finn," Jesse smirked, getting under the Quarterbacks skin and awestruck, uncomfortable laughter from the New Directions.

Dani's jaw dropped, covering her mouth with her hand as she looked between Finn and Jesse, "Wowww."

"Guys, Jesse is just a consultant. I still make all the calls. I have all the confidence in the world in you guys. I just think we could use all the help we can get because... this is it. We've been working so hard for two years for this moment, and that moment is finally here. I was talking with Jesse and he agreed we should continue with our successful trend... of doing original songs for the competition. I was thinking of doing one group number and one duet."

Rachel quickly blurted out her two cents, earning various eye rolls from the people around her, "Finn and I should sing a duet. We killed it last year at Regionals with "Faithfully"."

"Yeah. It killed us. We lost," Quinn reminded the brunette, as she boredly examines her nails.

Finn smiled at the blonde on his left, seeing her discreetly read If I Stay by Gayle Forman in her lap, "We didn't lose this year with Dani and I's duet. We won."

Jesse looked between the group's male lead and their director, "May I? I agree that Rachel should sing lead, or even Dani, but, Finn, I think it's best if you sit this one out. The fact is, most of the other guys in here are better singers... and Mike Chang, who can't even sing, can at least dance. And the other one next to Dani, I've never seen him before but I'm sure he can at least sing. You kind of sing and dance like a zombie who has to poop."

As Nathan smugly smirked at Jesse's insult towards Finn, Dani just breathed under her breath, "Wowww...."

Finn jumped out of his seat, yelling over his friend's laughter as Dani grabbed Finn by the wrist to ensure he didn't attack Jesse St. James, "You see what I'm talking about? This guy's a jerk!"

Mr. Schue gave his consultant a disapproving look, agreeing with Finn that Jesse in fact crossed a line, "Maybe you could be a little gentler with your advice."

"Gentle?"

"Yes."

Jesse rolled his eyes at Mr. Schue's criticism, "I'm sorry. I didn't realize we were training for the "Good Try" ribbon at Nationals. I thought we were in it to win the whole thing, and there's only one way we can do that."

"Poison darts?" Brittany innocently suggested, looking up from her shoes. 

After Brittany's suggestion, Dani looked up from her book briefly, making eye contact with the former Vocal Adrenaline alumnus, "Voodoo?"

At first Jesse narrowed his blue eyes at the blonde, then he smiled at her weird suggestion before continuing the Vocal Adrenaline strategy to the New Directions, "The Vocal Adrenaline strategy is simple. Identify your best performer and build the entire performance around them."

"So what does everyone else do?" Mercedes asks, knowing that if Jesse St. James had his way every performance the New Directions will perform will feature Rachel Berry. 

"And who's our star performer?" Puck asks as many of the New Directions pick a different person to look at as their guess to who will be the star performer at Nationals.