2009

The New Directions made it to Nationals in New York. As per tradition, the New Directions stayed together in one of the hotel rooms telling stories. Kitty looked around the room, seeing all the current New Directions and many of the alumni here with them, "I don't think you guys have told us the stories of what made you guys audition for Glee Club in the first place."

"Yeah guys, why don't the six original members of the Glee Club tell them what drove them to join the wildly unpopular Glee Club six long years ago," Mr. Schue agreed, looking around the room at each of the original alumni.

Dani shared a look with Artie and Tina, none of them really wanting to tell the story from such a long time ago, "You guys don't wanna hear that, do you?"

Mason nodded enthusiastically, speaking on behalf of the entire New Directions, "Yes, totally!"

Jane nodded in agreement, nuzzling into Mason's arm wrapped around her shoulders, "If it wasn't for the six of you none of us would be going to Nationals tomorrow."

Sam and Blaine chuckled at the students' enthusiasm, having heard one side of the six sided story. Rachel gave in, "They really want to hear how it all began. I've already told them my story. So, who wants to go first?"

Kurt looked around seeing that none of the others were offering, he cleared his throat, "I'll go first. But bear with me because I'm gonna have to tell the story from my sophomore self perspective."

...

My name is Kurt Hummel. I'm a sophomore at McKinley. My first day at this school, the principal got up in front of the whole freshman class and told us that the next four years were going to be the best years of our lives.

David Karofsky and Noah "Puck" Puckerman walked past me on their way to whatever class they had next. But rather than letting me walk past them, out of their way, Dave Karofsky slams his shoulder into me and pushes me out of his path, "Out of the way, fag! What a joke."

...

Spencer interrupted Kurt's storytelling, already confused by the contents at the mention of a certain twin, "What a second, isn't he gay?"

Dani nodded, shushing the blonde, "Yes, but let's keep the comments to a minimum guys because we're trying to remember something from a very long time ago."

"Sorry."

...

"Hope I didn't make you late for remedial math."

Puck stops walking away from me, congratulating Dave for abusing me, but turns around and gets in my face, hissing, "What was that?"

In a moment of fear, I stammer, "Nothing. I just...I just said I was sorry."

Approving of my answer, Puck smacks my textbooks and binder out of my hands. Then proceeds to kick them before walking away with Karofsky. A blonde Cheerio bends down to try and help me collect the books but I avoid making eye contact with her, scooping them off the ground and run away from her with so much as breathing in her direction.

Another day, another cataclysmic humiliation. Everywhere I go, I'm isolated and alone. I know my mom used to tell me how good it made her feel that I was such a happy kid, but honestly, I don't even remember what that would've even felt like. I feel like I could die tomorrow and I don't think anyone would really care. I'm not sure anyone would even notice.

I pluck a copy of the guidance counselor's pamphlets off the table sitting outside of her office, examining the large title that stretched across the paper: ENDING IT ALL: THE PROS AND CONS.