A Sour Night

For the remainder of the night, you cried restlessly on the top of your couch, everything else, including food and cleaning, left untouched as you were left on your own with your tauntingly dark thoughts.

How had you ended up like this? Not even a month ago you were sure you had found the love of your life, the man you had wished for ever since you saw your first princess movie. You had hoped for a strong person, with good values that appreciated you and made you feel special and whom you could make feel just as good. Rosinante had been that and much more. He had been the perfect man, until he wasn't. No, he still was, but you couldn't understand what made him change so much. You knew deep inside his heart he was still there. He'd give you small signs that he still was, but, as much as you tried, you simply couldn't pull him out.

And although you had set up your mind to help him out tonight, to be strong and stand up for both of you, you ended up crumbling like a leaf. Delicately and easily carried away by destiny.

Law snuggled himself closer against you, the poor puppy having been feeling the negative energy oozing off you and Rosinante and not understanding what was going on. He felt himself feed off that negativity and lose the otherwise large amount of energy that's so characteristic of young dogs. The worst part of all for the poor animal was that he had no way of understanding what was going on. He still saw the love from each of you so he couldn't understand where all of this anxiety and doubt had come from.

"Law." You mumbled, lazily scratching behind his ears. "Thank you for being such a good boy." You whimpered as your body plopped completely down on the cushion, yourself now laying down completely on the couch.

I miss him.

That was all that went through your head. You missed him so much, and it felt awful. Such a pain weighed at your heart that you couldn't even gather the strength to get up from the couch and back to bed.

As you began thinking about him, about that honest smile you hadn't seen for so much time, those toe curling kisses that he had stopped giving you, those late night conversations that were fueled with nothing but love and passion for each other, you realized how lost you felt. You wanted him back. You wanted him here with you. Sleepless hours went by while you thought about everything that had happened through your relationship. It seemed as if it had been rocketing upwards, getting better and healthier until it suddenly wasn't anymore.

Suddenly, he stopped hugging you, kissing you, loving you. That's how it felt.

Your entire body went numb, eyes staring at no particular point with a distant gaze. Had he really? Since when? And why did he stay then?

If he didn't love me he would've simply broken up with me.

You frowned.

Then what? Work?

No. Blaming his job on this was a lame excuse you tried to give to this whole situation. If it were his work the thing that had made your relationship so miserable then Sengoku could've helped enlighten you when you had asked him. That wasn't it.

Ugh. I'm pathetic.

A couple of blocks away from your apartment, a car was approaching your place slowly, glumly. The man inside feeling as if he couldn't think straight anymore. It had been a miracle that he hadn't crashed into anything or anyone given his current state of confusion and daze. His eyes and his head felt numb, heart heavy as he reflected upon how much of an ass he had been the past weeks, and all of this suffering had only been for his benefit, he thought. Just so that he could cling a little bit more on your company.