Outburst

"Were those things true?"

After Zoro's interruption, Rosinante remained quiet and tense. Unresponsive to your touch and kisses. He had never heard in such detail your side of the story and as much as he told himself to let it go, that you were both alright now, it bothered him. It bothered him that you hadn't said how much you suffered just because you wanted to protect his feelings. It bothered him that you had unconsciously harmed yourself because of him.

You blinked at him, putting the last batch of cleaned dishes on their place.

"The things Zoro said." He cleared up.

Everyone was already gone and you were now cleaning the kitchen and living room up. Rosinante was sitting on a stool beside your kitchen counter as you commanded him to. You knew that if you let him help he'd make a mess with his clumsiness.

"Rosinante-"

"Why didn't you tell me these things? How you had to wash the feeling of my body off yours?" He said in pain, a small hurt glint shining in his eye.

"Because I didn't think it was needed!" You said seriously. "You were already beating yourself up because of what had happened and I didn't want to make it worse!" You looked at him, tossing the wet rag to the side and holding his cheek. "No help would have been brought by me mentioning any of that. It didn't matter." You said truthfully.

He paused, staring into your eyes and covering your hand with his, locking it in place.

"Was it really that bad?" He asked, his curiosity getting the best of him. It was probably better if he didn't know.

"Rosinante..." You whispered sadly. "I was feeling pain, yes." You didn't want to get into any details that would mess up the peace you had built. "But it's over-"

"How bad?" He interrupted, almost out of breath as his eyes rummaged deeply into yours.

The air grew tense. You didn't want to keep going. You didn't want to remember what happened and how awful you had felt. You had passed the page and didn't want to dig into it again.

The problem was, the pain hadn't just evaporated into thin air. There was still that dark cloud, that small memory. An unfinished business, perhaps.

"You ghosted me after having sex, Rosinante." You said, voice low and laced with pain as your eyes teared up. "It was horrible. Maddening. Frustrating because as much as I wanted to hate your guts I was still in love with you and it hurt even more."

You stopped talking, closing your eyes and trying to brace yourself for whatever reply he was going to give you. You knew you shouldn't have said anything. You had burst a small bag of hidden emotions all out in one painful sentence. They weren't true anymore, but they were heavy.

"B-but it's over now. Of course it hurt! But it's over now." You repeated with a sigh.

Fuck this. I shouldn't have said it like that. He'll get upset.

Instead, Rosinante raised himself from the stool, quickly enveloping your form and hugging you as tightly as he could. He cleaned the stray tears that had escaped from your eyes and whispered a thousand thank you's and I love you's into your ears.

"I love you so much. You know that, right?"

You nodded shyly, bright eyes looking at his face. He was smiling.

"And I will make you the happiest you've ever been. Understood?"

You nodded again, a small smile dancing on your lips as you leaned into him, lingering not further than a couple of centimeters away from his lips as you waited for him to claim you the way he already knew so well.